Coyping from file extractor gives 'cannot copy, access is denied'

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bassyst99, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassyst99

Bassyst99 Registered Member

[Fixed] Copying from file extractor gives 'cannot copy, access is denied'

Hi,

On copying from True Image file explorer to another folder on the same system I get the error: 'cannot copy msasn1. Access is denied. file may be in use.'

I've already reset the folder's attributes to clear read only settings, and I've checked that the msasn1.dll files are not read-only. What else could be causing this?

I am trying to extract just the Windows folder from an image held on a secondary pc, so that I can replace the Windows folder on the original machine. There is not much room on the problem drive, so i am trying to substitute the restored Windows folder (by rename and xcopy) for the existing Windows folder, hoping to get my settings back that way.

Will the above method work? Whatever, I have to get the imaged windows extracted before I can do anything.

Many thanks

Bassyst

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  2. Bassyst99

I've found and deleted the problem files from the image. Both copies of MSASN1 causing trouble were in WinXP update undelete folders. Strange that they could be deleted but not copied.

If anyone can still tell me whether the method of replacing a damaged windows folder with the extracted image of the intact Windows folder will work, I'd be grateful.

Bassyst99

3. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

It might work. If it doesn't, I would suggest following Method 2 at the following link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

This has worked great for me. All settings and data remain intact. Only thing it lost for me was Outlook Express messages and address books but those are easily backed up prior to doing the repair. Also, be sure to have either a hardware or software firewall running prior to connecting to the internet, then re-install all Service Packs and Updates immediately following the procedure.

Additional info here:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

and here:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

4. Bassyst99

Thanks a lot for that, Jimmytop.

Before I do a repair I'll persist for a little while in getting the image restore to work, seeing as how that's what the TI software is supposed to do, and I'm on dial-up so I'd like to avoid having to d/l all the XP updates again.

This time, I've installed Win2k on a C partition and extracted the TI image of the old XP onto D. I had to do this from Win2k because the TI rescue media immediately give me an error on boot (maybe because there is an Overlay on the drive).

The extraction worked fine, and I set the restored partition active in TI. I checked this in Win2k and it was reset ok. The boot.ini in XP is correct as well, with the partition set to (2). But, when I try to boot, I get 'error loading OS.'

Back to the drawing board.

Bassyst99

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.