Coverup of Possible Kaspersky Security Breach ??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawki, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

A number of KIS Users have been receiving what from its address appears to indicate is an email from Kaspersky Labs:

The following forum post is typical:is tyipcal:

"Hi :)

This morning I received an email titled: "You have a new personal message ( Kaspersky Lab Forum )"

The text read in part:

"thomhamon947 has sent you a new personal message titled 'Become Vip member only today.Christmas offer.'

You can read this personal message by following the link below: [Link]"

The email came from:" Kaspersky Lab Forum <forum@newforum1.kaspersky-labs.com>"

Clicking on the link brings you to what appeares to be The current legit KIS Forum Page, but in the center is a blue bordered box stating "To claim your benefits take the following survey" In the box are three stupid questions, e.g., "Who has the best hamburgers?" and two more that make little sense.

Clicking on any of the "survey questions" takes you to a page that is blocked by either your browser or an AdAware type program warning that it is a known phising page.

The moderator's brush off response is:

"Welcome to teh[sic] forum.

It was just a Spam message, that usr[sis] has been banned."

When asked the crucial question of how this forum member got access to the email addresses of KIS Users, The Question is deleted, you you receive a PM rebuke from the Moderator and the thread is locked.

I find this incident and the Moderator's censorship disturbing and and reprehensible.

I received one of these emails and want to know how this scammer got my email address and knew I had a subcription to KIS 2016. None of this is public info. I bought my KIS 2016 at a NewEgg irresistable special offer. KIS Forum Profiles do not include personnal email addresses. The fact that this scammer has been thrown off the KIS Forum means nothing.

A quick internet search of "thomhamon947" shows that this scam was atempted on KIS Users in several countries.

I believe that its known arrogance notwithstanding, Kaspersky owes its users an explanation of how this happened.

Unfortuneately, In the US,State and Federal Disclosure laws do not cover the breach of email addresses alone.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. IonSurge

IonSurge Registered Member

The spammer just sent them a private message on the forum. I don't see how any security has been breached here.

Yes, you're getting an email from the Kaspersky forum. It's simply notifying you that someone sent you a private message. This does not in any way mean the spammer gained access to the email account.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Doh. :)

Thanks IronSurge for pointing out the obvious to the ignorant.

It would have been helpful if the KIS Forum Moderators gave a response as informative as yours.

Moderators feel free to delete this thread with my blessing as it is now clear to me it is unfair to Kaspersky.:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Security Breach? Really? It is just a spam, business as usual in a forum.

I wont say more because it will sound a little offensive, but I expected better from a senior Wilders Security member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.