Couple of questions!!!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BillyClub, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyClub

BillyClub Registered Member

I should know better cause I know I'm gonna' get flamed:
    First of all whats the difference tween "Cleaned and Quarantined"(C&Q)
    and "Deleted and Quarantined"(D&Q). To me Quarantined means taken from one spot and put in another secure spot...If a file is Cleaned why does it have to be Quarantinedo_O same with, if a file is Deleted what is there to Quarantineo_O Evidently when deleted there is no chance of restoring. Is it completely deleted from the HD or just the foldero_O
    If a file is C&Q is it alright to restore that file when the scan is finishedo_O
    or will it show up as a bad file on the next scan.
    Evidently SmartSecurity must save copies of everything somewhere on the C drive...Please someone give me a hint where.
    The only drive I've ever scaned before has been the C drive and very seldom has there been any problems. For some reason I started scanning some of the other partitions on a 500GiG drive and found about 1000 instances of Parite.B virus which seems to write a couple of bites to every EXE and SCR file. Can I restore them after they have been Cleaned and Quarantined??
    Started with about 7+Gigs of space on the C drive at the start of the scan and ran out of room at about the 475Gig mark...where are those files kept and will I get the space back once they are restoredo_O
    Thanks...
    PS...Does Remove mean remove from Quarantine which is redundant with Restore or does Remove mean Deleteo_O
    Again Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hello, I've never seen "cleaned and quarantined before".

My guess would be that it cleans the file to a normal state and quarantines a copy of the infected state so you can restore it incase it was a false positive and then corrupted your file. If your files were cleaned they should still be on the drive and safe, no restoring should be necessary.

3. BillyClub

OK thanks I get what your saying. Although your not positive that makes sense, can anyone here verify thato_O
    Anyway if the file is now clean I guess I can go ahead and Remove those copies, right??

4. BillyClub

OK: Now I'm completely stumped.....If I do a scan on a partition I end up with about 80 files that have the "Parite.b virus". These are all put into Quarantine. It also reduces the space on my C: drive by about 5Gigs.
    If I do a Restore or Remove I do get the space back...however...just checking on 1 file of the 80...without doing anything except scaning it while it is still in the Quarantine it still shows up as having the virus...if I do a remove it shows up then as having the virus and if I do a restore it still shows up as having the virus...WTF...how do I clean the files of the virus...
    or is that not possible...
    Oh yeah where is that folder on the C drive where the Quarantine is kept??
    Thanks

5. elapsed

It should reduce the size because the files will become smaller and take less space. Let nod32 clean the pest and you should be ok. If you want further and better support with this I suggest you download ESET SysInspector (google) and send a log to support("at")eset[dot]com with this threads URL in the subject.

6. BillyClub

Hey FD...Thanks for answering!!! 105 looks at this post and you were only one trying to help...I appreciate that.
    Found the Quarantine folder in the C: drive, it keeps a copy of everything that it sees as infected. As you Remove or Replace infected files you gain your lost space back. Makes sense.
    Whats confusing me is after a scan of 1 partition I end up with 80 files that are "cleaned - quarantined" not cleaned and quarantined as I stated before.
    If I immediately rescan that partition I show the same files as being infected yet and now 2 instances in the Quarantine folder (double the space used on the C: drive)
    If I Remove or Replace from the Tools > Quarantine option and then do a rescan I still end up showing 80 infected files.
    I'm about ready to give up on this as my C: drive which contains Windows, Program Files and Documents and settings (not hidden)
    is according to the scans I've done is completely clean and everything else seems to be working correctly.
    I've used ESET-SS along with, Ad-Aware, Anti Malware, A-Squared,
    Cure-It, Spybot S&D, Trojan Remover and SuperAntiSpyware granted some were the free versions but they all came up clean on the C: drive.
    Later.....BC

7. elapsed

I suggest you follow the steps for getting support, also, don't worry about the size right now, you need to concentrate on fixing the problem. Don't restore files from quarantine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.