Couple of questions about Symantec...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Zyrtec, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi every one:

I have couple of questions here for you:

Someone gave me a gift and it's a boxed copy of Norton Internet Security 2009 (I believe it can be used on up to 3 PCs as it can be read on the sticker).

I've been reluctant to install it because I'm already using another security solution on both, desktop and laptop.
    However, it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot thus, I'm willing to install it on my desktop ONLY and see how it works.

My question is, let's say I'm using and running NIS 2009 on my PC and, the time comes when Symantec releases a new version of this security suite (which normally happens by end of September every year). Am I entitled to get the new version for FREE if my current subscription is still VALID?

I know ESET, Kaspersky and other major players in the PC security industry do that. (Example: If you are running Eset Security v.3, and version 4 comes out while your subscription to v.3 is still valid, you get it for free). But in the case of Symantec, what I've seen is they renew your subscription with the old version and keep udating your virus definitions, but you DON'T get the new version for free. You have to pay US$50 to get it.

Is that still the policy of Symantec regarding upgrades to new versions (I have to admit that, this policy turned me away from them long time ago).

Lastly, does NIS 2009 still install a toolbar on Internet Explorer? (I hate it, by the way).
    Can it be opted out or can you customize the installation of NIS to not allow that toolbar installed on your PC?

Thanks and best regards,

Carlos

2. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Well I bought NIS 2008 and a few days later they released 2009. I just downloaded the new version and installed it using the same serial number with no problems at all, so yes, you can upgrade versions without paying for a new license.

With regards to the toolbar - I'm afraid it just gets installed. All I do is choose to hide the toolbar in my browsers - as simple as that (View - Toolbars - uncheck).

3. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

It's even worse, NIS 2009 installs a toolbar in Firefox as well, without asking. (Although this can also be disabled)

The reason I find these toolbar so annoying is that they occupy too much screen realestate - I mean a whole toolbar just for 2 buttons :rolleyes: A small icon, for instance in the statusbar, would be alot better. But I guess it's part of their advertising, where it's important to show that your PC is indeed "PROTECTED BY NORTON!!1 lol"

It's really a shame, because other than that Norton's 2009 lineup has become very good. (especially compared to earlier versions)

4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

The toolbar is installed by default to both Firefox and IE. Also, be aware there are some "nuances" to running Norton if you're on a 64 bit machine.

5. denniz

denniz Registered Member

You pay for a 365 day subscription, no matter the version you have installed. So yes you get all updates and upgrades for free as long as it's in your 365 day subscription.

Other software vendors could take an example of that btw, instead of charging abnormal upgrade fees, even if you bought the product only a couple of months ago and a major version upgrade comes out after that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You are entitled to the new version in the sense that you can use the current license key to activate it. You might not be offered the new version by Symantec via their LiveUpdate Notification service. If you don't receive a notification after the new version becomes available just install the new version's 15 day trial and then activate it. Symantec does have a policy regarding when they offer the free upgrade, but I don't know exactly what it is.

NIS 2009 does install a toolbar which combines the Anti-Phishing and Identity Safe features - it doesn't give an option to opt-out of the toolbar during install. I find these features really useful and don't mind giving over the extra screen real estate, however you can just hide the toolbar if you wish. By the way, if you use IE 7 you can unlock the toolbars and move the Norton bar next to the menu bar so it doesn't take up extra space. I don't see a way to do this with FireFox unfortunately. FWIW, I've been using NIS 2009 on all three of my machines for about five months and it has worked very well - no slowdowns, crashes, update problems or infections!

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi and thanks to all those who tried to clarify these doubts for me.

Although, I have to say that I disagree with some of the explanations given to me here.

Regarding the upgrade to a new version of Symantec: Norton Internet Security, I don't think that it's their policy to upgrade you current version of the software for free to a new version when it becomes available.

If you go to the Symantec web page, there is an option to upgrade your current version of this software (let's say NIS 200:cool: to the new version (NIS 2009) but, you have to pay for it. You need to buy it.

If you are running Eset, Kaspersky or another security solution and, let's say you bought ESET 3.0 last October and Eset releases the new version of its security suite (version 4.0) in May so to speak, you are entitled to download version 4.0 and either intall it on top of version 3.0 or a clean install using your current license.

With Symantec, you can't really do that. If you bought NIS 2009 last December, and NIS 2010 is released this next September , even when you still have 3 months left on your current license they won't allow you to UPGRADE for free, period. You have to shed 50 bucks to buy the new version. Go to their web page and see it for yourself.

I'm positive that's they way their upgrade policy works.

I stand to be corrected.

Best regards,

Carlos

8. FloorMatt

FloorMatt Registered Member

You can upgrade to the new version. You just have to download the trial and input your Symantec account information.

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm, I guess Symantec doesn't explicitly mention that the upgrade is free.......But it is, I assure you. Just use your current license key in the trial version of the new edition :)

10. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

They mention that you, the user, are entitled to all product updates and builds, etc., during your subscription period.

So you can upgrade from 09 to 10 as if it was just another daily LiveUpdate; no loss of subscription days, you keep what you have left.

However, they push the user into buying another subscription when a new version comes out.

11. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

Very often you can find the new year's version on sale at a lower price than the one year subscription extension. Then if you like what you hear about the latest model, it becomes a no brainer.

I liked 2007 very much. I also like 2009, but my IE7 has been freezing on too frequent occasion since I loaded it (a few months ago). Have to use task manager to escape the frozen IE7 screen.

I'm not certain the problem involves Norton; but the freezes had never happened before on my Vista system (with Norton 2007)

12. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi RiverLights :)

Up Until Last Week...
    I had NIS 09 installed on my Laptop :thumbd:
    I also had exactly the same IE7 problems as you.
    One night I was trying to get to the BBC News website.
    I could get to the BBC News website via IE7 .. On my Desktop computer - AVG 8
    But not with my Laptop via IE7 .. With NIS 09 Installed o_O
    I could get as far as here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    But if I scrolled to the bottom of the page and clicked on NEWS : http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    IE7 would either... Never manage to load the page - OR - Freeze
    If I tried to click Home, Back, Exit ... IE7 Would Crash
    This had been going on for months.
    Different websites affected on different days.
    But last week it suddenly got much worse :rolleyes:
    And even though I mostly use Firefox now - ( Switched To Firefox Because of My IE7 problems )
    I still found it upsetting that IE7 had become impossible to use :'(
    So!
    As an experiment ..
    1/ I turned NIS 09 .. AntiPhishing - OFF
    I Was Able To get To The - BBC News
    Back - ON ... NO - BBC News
    2/ I Disabled The NIS 09 Toolbar In IE7
    I Was Able To get To The - BBC News
    Back - ON ... NO - BBC News

To Cut A Long Story Short...
    I uninstalled NIS 09 - & - Replaced It With Avast :D

To Be Honest!
    Since getting rid of NIS 09 ...
    I haven't properly tested IE7 just yet.
    I have used IE7 for a short time ... & ... It Seemed Fine!
    But I haven't had the courage to try the BBC News yet!
    Maybe I don't want to be disappointed if its still the same.
    Not Sure! :(

I Do Know One Thing Though!
    Since Uninstalling NIS 09 - & - Installing Avast Instead ...
    My Laptop Seems So Much Happier - & - I'm Certainly Much Happier :thumb:
    My laptop finally feels like mine :D
    Not Norton's :thumbd:

13. gery

gery Registered Member

I tried to visit the web page of BBC News UK and it works with not a bit of a problem . I also browse with IE 7 so don't fear you will not get dissapointed AVAST works fine here

14. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Out of curiosity for those who were getting freezes... Were they short duration (<20 seconds), or did it completely lock up IE? Only reason I'm asking is that a number of people are getting frequent short-duration "Not Responding" messages on browsers when using NIS2009 and the SafeWeb Beta addon.

15. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi gery :)

Re : Me Scared Of Visiting The BBC With IE7

It wasn't that I thought Avast would give me the same problems as NIS 09 had ;)
    Even though I'd practically proven it was NIS 09 causing the problem... By Testing With NIS 09 Anti-Phishing / Toolbar - OFF v ON
    I guess it was just in the back of my mind... " What If It Still Happens? "

Anyway!
    I am delighted to tell you...
    I have just been to the BBC News and Technology website via IE7
    No Problem! :thumb:

I'm So Glad I Ditched - NIS 09 :thumbd:

Lovin - Avast! :D

16. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi CountryGuy :)

For Me... Complete Lock Ups! :'(

One webpage would load fine.
    The Next...
    Would either never finish loading .. or .. IE7 would just compleatly Freeze straight away.
    It didn't really make any difference which one it was.
    Coz...
    There was No Way Out of either situation :rolleyes:
    * Task Manager would show nothing wrong
    However!
    As soon as I tried to click something - e.g. Back, Home, ... IE7 would just stay completly Frozen.
    And Then...
    * Task Manager Would Show - Not Responding!

Another Problem Was...
    IE7 sometimes took a very long time to open
    Saying - Connecting.. For about 20 minutes :(
    This could happen 2 to 3 times a day.

PS.
    I've Never Used The - SafeWeb Beta addon

17. RiverLights

RiverLights Registered Member

Complete freeze for me, CG, but Task manager would save the day.

PS Zeena, thanks for sharing your experiences. I just tried BBC News, and it was working great for me. My freezes are more random than website specific.

18. gery

gery Registered Member

No i wasn't saying you were afraid but just wanted to ensure Avast was fine and am glad to see you are loving it. I am an AVG and TREND Micro convert to AVAST pro and i have the same experience you had about freezing being unprotected etc. I even emailed to AVG support and they did not give me a good answer about rootkit realtime protection so it was the end of the story for me with avg.

19. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I have NIS2009, and I have no problems what-so-ever with visiting the websites you mention. So it must be some local problem on your computer.

20. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi denniz :)

The websites I couldn't get to with NIS 09 ( IE7 - Freezes / Crashes ) .. Did tend to change from day to day.

However!
    After not being able to get to the BBC News for approx 3 days...
    That's when I realised I could use that website to check if it actually was NIS 09 causing the problem.

And Like I Said...

Put It This Way..
    My IE7 problems were so bad with NIS 09 Installed.. Using IE7 Had Become Impossible :'(
    When IE7 failed to load a page - or - Just instantly Froze .. I only ever had 2 choices.
    1/ Wait about half an hour ...
    And just occasionally the page would eventually finish loading or Un-Freeze :(
    2/ Try Clicking.. Home, Back, Exit ...
    And then watch IE7 say - " IE7 - Not Responding "

Not Much of A Choice :rolleyes:

Now I've Got Avast
    :cool:
    I've used IE7 quite a bit today .. No Problem! :thumb:

The only good thing to come out of my IE7 problems - & - The miserable approx 5 months I had using NIS 09 ...
    I Found - Firefox :cool:

I'll probably always use Firefox now :D
    But It's nice to have the option of using IE7 again ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.