Couple of good questions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by cooljoebay, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooljoebay

cooljoebay Registered Member

First...

I am using Drivecrypt to encrypt my partitions and plan to encrypt the C: drive soon(tried that once and bootauth stopped logging in). When you are not logged into Drivecrypt Plus with the proper key to access partitions, if you try to access them anyway you get the "Disk is not formatted" message from Windows XP. I am wondering if there is a way to get the partition drives to disappear when not logged in, sort of like dismounting.

Second...

I am a big fan of open source(Firefox, Linux) and after doing some reading about the lies told to sell commercial products I cannot help but be skeptical about Drivecrypt's claims of security. I like how it works but I would hate to find out the hard way that there was a backdoor. How would anyone know if there was? Well, that's not my question. I have been hearing good things about TrueCrypt and my question is this, If I decided to ise Truecrypt would I be able to leave my existing encrypted disks alone and still access them with TrueCrypt using my keys that I already created?

Thanks

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I cannot help you with commercial part of your issues - but go for TrueCrypt. It's solid. And delve into Linux, you'll benefit from it hugely.
    Mrk

3. cooljoebay

cooljoebay Registered Member

Hey.

Thanks for the reply. I have some experience with Linux from 2 years ago and loved it. But it was still limited for my use at the time. Whether its Windows or Linux my main issue is with insecure transfer of temporary data. We all know how Windows is reckless with the use of information. I am not sure of what the difference is with Linux but if it's more secure it's the way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.