Couple Hundred To Spend, Help Build My Computer Security

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Foxfired, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxfired

Foxfired Registered Member

I am looking to spend a couple hundred dollars to help put together an excellent computer security platform. I have been the victim of a few virus attacks lately and I am tired of it.

If you had a couple hundred to spend, how would you build your security?

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with 2GB of RAM. Feel free to recommend both free and paid programs. Obviously if a free and paid program do the same job, I would prefer the free one :)

Thanks!

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I don't understand why a mod moved this here all this topic will do is Create a A vs B :'(

3. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

- Prevx Edge 3.0
    - Comodo Firewall (free) or Online Armor
    - Norton AV 2009 or NOD32
    - DefenseWall Hips (if you don't mind playing around with program rules and permissions)

- Shadow Defender or Returnil
    - Sandboxie
    - VMWare (free)

- Acronis True Image & an external HD

- Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free)
    - SUPERAntiSpyware (free)
    - a-squared (free)
    - Avira Antivir as a backup on demand AV (free)
    - Hitman Pro

- Secunia PSI (free)
    - Spyware Blaster

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm fine with free. :D

5. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

you haven't stated what OS Vista 32bit or maybe 64bit or XP !

you can try plenty of free trials and see what works for you and doesn't conflict or drag your machine down.

you could start with a all in one Internet security app and add to that.

or a stand alone AV and build round that add a HIPS, Sandbox, Antispyware prog, Behaviour blocker, basically there are lots of options to choose from.

spend a few days checking the forums and reading reviews then trial some of the apps and go from there.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I would check out some programs to see how they run on your particular system.

Here are a few I would try:
    Online Armor.
    Avira.
    Prevx.

They each have free and paid versions.
    Check the free versions to see if you like them.

7. Someone

Someone Registered Member

You don't need to pay to achieve good security. If you simply use common sense (not saying you don't of course), keep regular image and file backups, keep Windows and your applications up to date and disable Autorun you will almost never get infected.

Then add a free AV (e.g Antivir) and a behavioural blocker (personally I like Prevx) and you're completely safe.

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If you will give details of these attacks, we can know what you need to protect against.

----
    rich

9. Foxfired

How about Kapersky for a firewall?

I believe the majority of my infections have been due to browser hijackers. I treid Sanboxie before but it always seemed to lag or cause my browser to lock up. Maybe I was using it wrong?

10. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Also, what Operating System are you running? What do you do with your machine? Only surfing or online gaming? Do you use peer to peer programs?. You'll get better answers with more details.

Check out the link in my signature and run an online scan to see if your running any potentially vulnerable programs and then update them. Run the Secunia scan at least once a month. Keeping updated is a good first step in remaining secure.

11. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

KIS 2010 has a Release Candidate available. It also has a built in sandbox, maybe you can give it a try and see how it looks.

ds

KIS 2009
    Defensewall
    Primary Response SafeConnect

12. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Even if you still have a couple hundred to spend, I can't stress enough that you should trial the software first. It's much better to find out if some software will cause problems on your computer before you pay for it, so that way you don't feel cheated when something goes wrong and support can't fix it.

As you can probably tell, this has happened to me before :gack: .

Anyways, how about giving PrevX 3.0 a try? It seems to have gotten a boatload of positive reviews.

13. icr

icr Registered Member

Avira (Free)
    Avast! (Free)
    Comodo Firewall (Free):thumb:

14. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Best Setup IMO:

Free:
    Avira AntiVir Personal (now includes antispyware component)
    Outpost Firewall Free

Paid:
    Avira AntiVir Premium
    Outpost Firewall Pro (lifetime license currently available)

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ <--unbelievable deal

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Foxfired,

whatever you do, don't omit image/restore software. It's a very nice feeling to simply restore a backup image within an hour, compared to the sinking, depressing feeling of having to re-install Windows and all your programs and user settings, accounts, and so forth over the course of 5 hours+ along with the probable loss of valuable data.

You had mentioned being the victim of a few virus attacks; this means you might be engaged - just my guess - in risky surfing and/or behind on security updates. Without suggesting you visit them, steer clear of those crack sites.

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I wouldn't spend several hundred dollars for anything else but a good imaging setup.

For example, external harddrive (connect only when making and restoring an image) plus good imaging software, and a bootable CD (make sure the BIOS is set to check the CD or DVD drive first at startup.

I use Acronis version 8, and am very pleased with it.
    The most recent version(s) of Acronis are more bloated, and perhaps more difficult to use.

About the rest: it shouldn't have to cost much money, things like an AV +firewall or suite, HIPS, sandboxing or virtualization etc are fine when properly set up and when you know how to use those.
    A quality router can function as good firewall for inbound traffic and is more stable than a software firewall, I believe it's best to use a router plus software firewall.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Another vote for a good imaging program and an external USB harddrive + you could add Returnil free or Shadow Defender (not free, both are 'vitualizers), and
    a free antivirus.

18. thathagat

thathagat Guest

shadow protect desktop,prevx,sandboxie............

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Free decent user friendly protection

a) Outpost Free as FW and HIPS (HIPS module is easier than D+ of CIS, protects also on bootup/log-off (Online Armor free does not)
    b) Avira Free (apply as a beta tester and you get the free version with pro-active protection), AV is better than AV component of CIS
    c) EdgeGuard Solo Free (run Office + Webbrowsers as limited user)
    d) Consider IRON as your browser (google for SWare and Iron or search this forum)

20. Foxfired

So if I get Prevx does that mean I am all set as far as firewalls?

21. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Strongly vote for good imaging program and an external USB harddrive. For Firewall/HIPS/Antivirus/Antispyware there are many good free and paid.

22. Foxfired

What imaging software do you recommend?

23. incursari

incursari Registered Member

These are few good paid imaging software. ShadowProtect, Paragon Drive Backup, Image For Windows/DOS, BING, ATI etc. I myself used Paragon Drive Backup and BING.

24. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I'd recommend ShadowProtect.
    It got a v good reviews in Magazines and on threads here.

I have ATI and its a bit buggy and slow for me. ( 2 hours for a 60GB copy on a usb transfer , XP laptop )

25. Foxfired

Alright excellent. And just to reiterate, if I get Prevx will I still need a firewall? Should I combine that with something like Online Armor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.