CounterSpy V2 or SUPERantispyware Pro?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PhoenixWeb, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

I have been using SUPERantispyware free for a while, but I am considering upgrading to the Pro version for background scanning.

Whilst I was looking around I noticed CounterSpy V2 which from their website sounds like a great product.

CounterSpy V2 is $19.99 and SUPERantispyware Pro is $29.99

Which would you recommend, and why?

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I tried counterspy version 1.5 and all I can say that my computer went in slow-mo and had problems with it. Even though I liked it the problems were overwhelming. Here comes Version 2.0, and I couldn't wait to try it, way lighter than 1.5 but still HEAVY and still had alot of problems. So even though some people have good expirences with counterspy, I sure as hell didn't. Then I bought Trend Micro anti-spyware in ebay for cheap, and I still like it alot, but it resets my taskbar so that's it's the only icon there, and I didn't like that. Well, Superantispyware has it all IMO and has not let me down yet, plus the detection rate is very high and the program is super light on my computer. SAS Pro is my overall winner and I'm sticking to it.;)

3. one111

one111 Registered Member

If you choose CounterSpy, check it out first. I'm having never ending problems
    with Version 2 on my computer and was forced to return to Version 1.5.
    If it works for you on your system, it's a great program.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

superantispyware is great but so is counterspy.
    do a trial of both and decide which one you like more.
    counterspy1.5 was heavy and gave alot of popups but both issues have been fixed in 2.0
    lodore

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm not at all up on CounterSpy but some peeps have informed me that it is most heaviest of installs of all of them. Is that true? And if so how large is the installer in MB?

Thnx EASTER

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

installer for CounterSpy 2.x is about 33mb.

7. btman

btman Registered Member

SD5 looks light compared to CS.

But yeah my vote goes to SUPER Pro.

8. asyland

asyland Registered Member

There's also been a report from Sunbelt that CS 2 has had some problems with the active protection shutting down. I didn't experience that myself, but you should be aware of it. I'd supply a link, but it was in an email I recieved from Sunbelt. CS's memory usage on my system was about 21MB.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

CS2 is a brand-new product, SAS is proven technology. Both have reasonable prices and top-notch support (just look at the posts of Nick from SAS and Eric from Sunbelt).
    SAS is one of the best (if not the best) to detect/remove deeply embedded malware (rootkits, CWS/Vundo, etc).
    CS2 shares similarities with Prevx (blacklist + whitelist + behaviour analysis)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks for that note of confidence. It takes considerable time for me to make my rounds to everyone in this AS products rotation so i must admit that i've not got up to CS yet, although it's a certain i will.

I was not sure from reports about the big install just why that was but now it's clear to me.

It does take some time to refine these programs to a level that's acceptable for most everyone's config so that's understood and the purpose for these type of discussions IMO

One need only look at the top AV's right now, they are integrating more and more componants into their programs untill they finally fashion a stable suite of sorts that encompasses a great deal of coverage.
    So no surprise that CS seems to be on that same track and so expect bigger and better things to come from CS AFAIK.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes, that´s the direction of the security industry. Suites which mix good antimalware engines, code emulation/behaviour analysis, some HIPS-like functions (policy guard, behaviour blockers, IDS, whitelisting, tampering protection, etc), firewall and antispam.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  12. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

Ok

I went with CounterSpy for two days. I love how it works, and it found loads of traces of spyware that had been left behind by Prevx1 and Antivir Personal Premium, which I liked. However running the software seemed to cause everything else on my PC to slow down, so I removed it.

I have since installed SUPERantispyware Pro which I like too. It doesn't obviously seem to have all the bells and whistles that CounterSpy has, but as it is so highly thought of on here, and it is also very light, I think it's a keeper. In fact I have just purchased it.

Thanks for the advice!

13. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

You made a fine purchase indeed:)

14. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Nick S blogged about this a while back and made an interesting counter suite line of thought.
    http://superantispyware.blogspot.com/2006/11/are-suites-really-sweet.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.