counterspy or a squared or avg antispyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lodore, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HI, I was wondering how good a squared was with spysware/adware?

I like most of counterspy 1.5 but theres to many pop ups with its real time protection. thats why i had the other post about that.

I have always liked a squared free and was wondering if the real time protection is any good?

also how good is avg antispyware 7.5 with spyware/ad ware? and i have seen people reporting the guard just randomly turning off.

this stuff would go with kav+comodo so i need to make sure they are compatible with that.

also i just trialed superantispyware pro 3.3 but when it was removing cookies it crashed and had to use taskmanager to end it and im not impressed with that. probably a one off but still.
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

You have added malware-IDS in A-squared in addition to the real-time scanning, but it seems there are more false positive in A-Squared than in AVG Anti-spyware comparatively.

A-Squared is more fast in action to issue bug fix versions through auto-update than AVG Anti-spyware comparatively.

It is hard to speak how good or bad unless you have the experience of being infected with many spyware or adware and then you can compare how they detect or clean the same spyware or adware on two identical machines. Therefore, speaking of how good or bad with spyware/adware, I think you may need to compare the detection rate test made by reliable sources and take that for a reference. I was seldom infected with spyware or adware and it is hard to tell which one is good in comparison with the others.

You can customize the alerts in beta 2.0

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151218

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Of these 3 programs in real-time protection it's going to come down to what you like better.
    They are all good programs.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

I do like the look on the new counterspy interface IMO.

5. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

After trying out Avg Anti-spyware, Counterspy, and Trend Micro, I would say try out trend. I wasn't gonna do it, but found out it's a little more easier to handle than counterspy and more trustworthy than AVG. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I did try it it last week and did like it. one process quite light but along side f-secure it made even more cpu spikes IMO so im gonna try it when i get eiether kav or nod32.

7. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

A Squared is expensive, Counterspy is rather bloated and AVG antispyware seems IMO to be going a little bloated and downhill. Why not use free Spyware Terminator or something? Spyware is not all that crippling of an issue that you need to pay to prevent it. Be safe and use a freeware program and you have about a 99% chance of being fine :)

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i have been spyware free for almost 2 years now. i used to use spysweeper shields but turned em off cos they slowed my system down and only blocked harmless tracking cookies IMO. would something like nod32+comodo be enough protection for real time? i do play somegames and its annoying when i get slowed down and when i tryed nod32 again today
    i used the get blackspear settings with no fuss config files and it installed with all blackspear settings in like 1 minute IMO including the reboot. if i decide to buy nod32 i will use those quick settings files from that nod32 reseller it is ultimate and recommend them to everyone. its so simple and installs so quickly.

what about nod32+comodo+trendmicroantispy?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  9. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

"what about nod32+comodo+trendmicroantispy?"

That seems rather good imo, but I want a firewall that has ad blocking and pop-up blocker, you see I am a stubborn IE user(I'm so used to it), I know it has security flaws, but that's why I am going to buy security. I wanted an all free setup after my Mcafee expires, but I guess not. Anyways here is what I am thinking so far...

Anti-virus: Antivir PE Classic
    Antispyware: Trend Micro Antispyware(trying it out right now)
    Firewall: Outpost Pro 4 (I really wanted Comodo, but I want my ad blocking and pop up blocker by my firewall)
    etc...

So yeah, I hope Outpost is stable on my computer, after reading many things about it. But all together I should spend around 60 bucks or so. Not bad, I paid more for my Mcafee suite which I am unpleased with.

10. budfox

budfox Registered Member

After testing these three against trojan installs its a no brainer. AVG antispyware much better then the others for realtime blocking.

11. the Tester

How many trojans did you try to install in your test?

12. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I liked AVG Antispyware alot, but I like the extra montering(security) of Counterspy and Trend. I know AVG has it too, but trend and counterspy have more options available, tell me if I'm wrong though. To tell you the truth I like counterspy, but it is really heavy on my computer and kind of confusing at points. And I really like the trend antispyware, but some features are not needed to me since I have Ccleaner.

13. the Tester

You are probably using the old version, not 2.0?
    2.0 is in beta testing now and that will be lighter.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I will probaly use eiether kav or nod32 +trend micro antispy+comodo.

I use firefox with adblock+ad blocker g updater filter set
    and no script and siteadvisor so i just need a firewall and no add ons so it runs light.

15. btman

btman Registered Member

A Squared free has no real time protection.

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm...I think lodore likes A-Squared Free and also want to know if the real time protection of the paid version is good or not.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup you right i kinda worded it wrong.

18. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I tested Spyware Doc, AVG, Counterspy, and Spysweeper against DFK threat simulator, and the only one that blocked it from installing trojans was AVG. Spysweeper alerted to the trojan install, but failed to block it.

AVG seems to be by far the best one out at the moment for trojans.

19. the Tester

I'm not discounting or disagreeing with the finding.
    But we are talking about a handful of trojans?
    I wouldn't judge any program's capabilities on such a limited test bed!
    I would also expect AVG Antispyware to detect more trojans than any of these other A/S programs because of the history of Ewido.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ewido is more antitrojan based and spy sweeper is more antispyware based.
    most people know that. i dont reallly need a stand alone anti trojan if im a safe surfer and am going to use kav do you agree?

im more looking for antispyware apps mainly.

I have been using f-secure which uses kav engine and haven't been infected by a trojan in that time. im thinking of replacing it with kav because its lighter and has better features. sometimes I do an kaspersky online scan because they update more than f-secure does.

21. the Tester

No standalone A/T if you are running KAV?I agree.
    I'm not so sure that most folks know that about AVG Antispyware after the recent name change.
    Even though it is more an A/T ,I wouldn't discount the program as an AS programs also.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

am Ii right in thinking that a squared is also more anti trojan based?

23. the Tester

I'm not sure about that.
    If you look at definitions updates for SAS,A-Squared,and AVG AS they all have definitions for trojans,worms,adware,spyware.....
    Who detects more of any particular malware category would be highly speculative on my part.;)

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree with that. a squared sure does update alot. it updates at least daily and today i got a engine update. so has anyone tryed the realtime protection of it?

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Counter Spy beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.