CounterSpy: New bug fix 2.1 Build 917 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

CounterSpy: New bug fix 2.1 Build 917 released (16 Feb 2007)

From the CounterSpy Beta forum

2. btman

btman Registered Member

Can someone take Counterspy out of system startup now?... Like a checkmark someplace? Or will I have to do it the slightly longer way if I download it.

3. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

btman:

There is no such option in the CounterSpy GUI (we do have the request in our bug tracking system as a feature request). You can, however, prevent CounterSpy from loading up by unchecking the appropriate box in MSCONFIG or your favorite startup control application.

I would also suggest setting the Sunbelt CounterSpy service to start "Manual."

When you the start CS from a desktop icon or such, it will load the CounterSpy.exe process, the service, and the tray applet. When you shut down CS from the tray applet, all three will close.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

4. jjmac10

jjmac10 Registered Member

When will this new release be available via UPDATE in the program?

I am currently at 2.1.906 and update does not offer it to me.

5. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

jjmac10:

It currently is being pushed out via auto-updates. Unfortunately, we can't update everyone at one time, so the update is periodically being turned on and off on our servers to prevent the pipe from being completely overwhelmed.

If you really would not rather wait, I would suggest downloading the new build from Sunbelt's site. There is no difference between what you get via auto-udpates and what you download from the web site.

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

6. jjmac10

jjmac10 Registered Member

Eric:

Ouch!! :(

Does this mean that EVERY update will require FULL 30+mb downloads?

That's really quite hard on us Dial-up Users.

Also, will the update require uninstall/reinstall or will the installer do it automatically?

Jim (jjmac10)

7. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

jjmac10:

Major program updates will require a full download. There are some smaller program updates that can be delivered via incremental updates, but big bug-fix updates will be full downloads.

The installer automatically uninstalls previous versions, preserving settings, and installs the new version.

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

8. J-Mac

J-Mac Registered Member

Counterspy build 917 w/definitions build 502 just ran a scan and then said that I had to configure it - the same wizard as when I first installed V2 of C-Spy.

When I declined to use the wizard (since I had just set it up days ago), it gave me a slight reprimand, and then I noticed it had reset my settings to the default!

Why is that? I do not want to set up Counterspy over and over again. Was this a goof-up? Or is there a problem with V2 of C-Spy?

Thanks.

(CastleCops' C-Spy forum is down due to DDOS attack(.

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi Eric,

I have raised the same issue some time before in the beta forum and suggest that Sunbelt increase the bandwith for the download. I understand that big bug-fix updates will require full downloads, but even though I am using broadband, it still take me nearly an hour to download the full installer, during which I was required to hold up with the CounterSpy update screen. The idea of doing program updates within CounterSpy is good, but the download seems too big.

I would further suggest that, for those who have set to get update manually, in addition to notifying the user of a new program update which is now doing already, offer the user to either download the full installer from within CounterSpy or offer a separate link where the user can download the full installer using IE, firefox or other browser, so that the user can download it "offline from CounterSPy" when it is convenient. I mean this link (http://www.sunbelt-software.com/evaluation/.../counterspy.exe)

:)

10. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

J-Mac:

I've not heard of that behavior before. It sounds like the MSI installer somehow detected (rightly or wrongly) a damaged installation -- perhaps a missing file or Reg key.

If this happens again, please contact our support dept.,which has much more experience troubleshooting MSI installer issues than I do:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/support-HomeOffice.cfm

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.