Could this be false positive?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Anusha, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anusha

Anusha Registered Member

Hello to all...

I downloaded a file from bittorrent and I checked it with virustotal.com to make sure it was clean.

All the antiviruses couldn't find any malware in it, except AVG

Result: 1/31 (3.23%)
    AVG 7.5.0.516 2008.01.17 VB.BXT

Could this be a false positive?

Thanks in advance

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Did you scan it with any of the scanners you have on you computer? You can try the link below which lists many places you can upload the file to. The only ones I have used is VirusTotal and Jotti. If you have any doubt whatsoever about the file, it's best to get rid of it. If it is infected and you execute it, it's game over! A quick search mentions VB.BXT as being a Trojan Downloader.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Online_malware_scans_-_Comparison#Single_file_scans

It could also very well be a FP, I had one just this week with a legal game I have owned for well over a year. An online scan tagged it as being infected by 8 different scanners. It since has been analyzed by 3 different labs which says it's clean.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

definatly sounds like a false alarm.

you can also try http://virscan.org

put it in your virus vault (for now) and send it to AVG for analysis, they will report back to you with their conclusion, you can then delete/restore the file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.