Could someone please answer my questions about Universal Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by countryboy, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countryboy

countryboy Registered Member

I've already posted this with no response to my questions below. Surely someone must have answers to my questions.

Hey,

A friend of mine is using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation 9.5.8076 with Universal Restore 9.5.8076, so both are the same.

He has an older image (tib file) which he tried restoring to a desktop computer with different hardware and as well a laptop. He tried using the Universal Restore Full option and it does give the check box to choose the Universal Restore option.

Both the computer and laptop restored fine, but at the Windows Startup screen it takes an extremely long time to load into Windows XP Professional. Also, when logging off and shutting down the computer it takes an extremely long time as well.

My friend has Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8018, 9.5.8039, 9.5.8072 and 9.5.8076 and he also has the same correct version for Universal Restore plugin.

He has a rescue boot CD created for all the 4 above Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions along with the Universal Restore plugin (correct version).

Doesn't matter which of the 4 boot cd's he uses when restoring to the desktop computer with different hardware and as well a laptop, the restore process finishes and says image was restore successfully on both (using the Universal Restore check box), but Windows XP Startup, Logoff and Shuwdown is really slow and this is even after installing all the correct drivers!

However, he had an older copy of Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1.3718 and when he restored the old image (tib file) on the desktop computer with different hardware and laptop there were no problems, windows startup was fast, logoff and shutdown were fast as well.

Now the problem is Acronis True Image Workstation version 9.1.3718 even though it works well for this scenario, for newer laptops this version is out of date.

The Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8076 and so on recognize all newer hard drives.

1) My questions is does the Universal Restore plugin (correct Universal Restore plugin version installed) actually work for Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8076 and older versions?
    2) If the Universal Restore plugin for Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8076 and older versions does work then what could be causing the Windows XP startup, logoff and shutdown being slow?
    3) He also noticed the since Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8072 the boot cd gives an option of changing the SSID after image restore should he check this off or leave it unchecked?
    4) Also, with Acronis True Image Echo Workstation version 9.5.8076 and older versions of Echo Workstation is when you restore an image to a hard drive that is larger you want to get back the hard drive space. In order to get the hard drive space back is really easy to do. However, with Acronis True Image Echo Workstation versions 9.5.8076 and older versions is not allowing me to get back the free hard drive space. However, using Acronis True Image Workstation 9.1.3718 boot cd he was able to get back the free hard drive space. Has there been known issues with Acronis True Image Echo Workstation version 9.5.8076 and older versions not being able to get back hard drive space when restoring image to larger hard drive?

Before I purchase the product I want to see if my friend can get these problems fixed first!

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello countryboy,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.
    Yes, Acronis Universal Restore does work in most cases. In those cases a problem is encountered, we are usually able to help resolving it after investigating the cause.
    If the image was created by a (much) older version of Acronis True Image, it may be not properly recognized and not restored completely correctly.
    It's also possible that the slowness is caused by faulty hardware of the computer the image was restored to.
    You only need to change SSID if you are going to use both the original and restored (or several restored from the same image) computers in same network.
    Please be aware that if the filesystem in the image is corrupted or unsupported, the resize option will be not available. In most other cases you can resize partitions to occupy all available space on the new drive.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.