Could not move large files to new partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by vladpryjdun, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vladpryjdun

vladpryjdun Registered Member

:oops: Hello,

I am new to acronis disk director. I just bought it about 10 days or so ago…

Nevertheless, I repartitioned Maxtor 160 gb hard drive into NTFS with Acronis Disk Director 9.0 build 538 but when I tried to move a large mpeg file to it, a home made movie 12GB, from my backup disk I got Windows XP error:” Not enough space on disk. Do you want try to clean disk…
    I could not complette and was not able to put that file onto it.

But I was able to move my photo folder onto this disk( thousands of jpegs 4GB total) to it however.

I repartitioned disk with Windows XP (install routine) and I had no problems with copying that same file on to it.

I experimented futher: I repartitioned disk again but this time with Maxtor OEM utility(comes with hard drive) and again it worked.

I continued troubleshouting to make things clear;

I got second drive (Western Digital) 100GB, wiped it of with Acronis and rendered it FAT 32.and split in two equal parts.

I tried to copy that same MPEG on to it and got again windows error “Not enough space…”

I repartitioned drive, this time using WD OEM utility and problem again was corrected…

Looks that OEM utilities work better even though they are not that as versatile and bound to manufacturers disk only…

Please help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vladpryjdun,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Management software.

This problem seems to be really strange. And we haven't received any similar reports before.

The only thing we can do in order to troubleshoot this is ask you to reproduce the problem again, create report file using Acronis System Report utility, repartition the drive with the built-in Windows disk management or with the Maxtor OEM utility and create a second report file. Then please send these report files to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Please download the Acronis Report utility available at http://download.acronis.com/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it in order to create the report files.

We do really appreciate your input in making our products better.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. vladpryjdun

vladpryjdun Registered Member

Thank you.
    Meantime I spotted that described problem is inherent to FAT32 partition but not to NTFS.
    Is this a FAT32 limitation that is unable to accept 12GB file? If not then I guess I have to create system report.
    Please let me know.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vladpryjdun,

The limitation of FAT32 file system is that it cannot have any files larger than 4Gb. The only strange thing is that you could copy 12Gb file to FAT32 after you partitioned the drive using third-party utilities. If you split your 12Gb file into three parts of 4Gb you should be able to copy them to the partition without any problems.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.