Could not clone Toshiba laptop drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Alanw2006, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alanw2006

Alanw2006 Registered Member

Just spent 2 days trying to clone my laptop drive. I have used Acronis to close tens of drives on my PC and laptops. For some reason, I had trouble this time.I would get the error "partition configuration has changed, press any key to continue". Pressing any key boots into windows.

I tried to clone this way several times and kept getting this message. I even spent hours testing the drive, but it passed all stress testing. I eventually tried a new drive and got the same message.

On day 2, I loaded Acronis from a boot disk and tried cloning without windows. Acronis said the clone was successful, but the laptop refused to boot. I retried cloning this way several times. Everytime, Acronis said the clone was successful, but it would not boot,

I then backed up the computer to an external drive with Acronis. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and did a restore. It worked! The computer booted. But I had a new problem.

I replaced a 100 GB hard drive with a 250 GB hard drive. The problem was that Windows identified the new 250 GB HD as only being 100 GB. 150 GB of the new HD was unallocated.

I then used Acronis Disk Director to change the partion size on the primary partition.

2.5 days later, everything finally worked out. Wish someone told me about this instead of having to do massive trial and errors.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Did you try a "reverse clone"? This is mentioned frequently on the forum. And when a user still has problems with the clone feature, the Image/Restore method is the very next thing to try (and with the boot CD) - also recommended many times on the forum.

3. Alanw2006

Alanw2006 Registered Member

Thanks for the reverse clone advice. I will try that on another laptop I am cloning. Does it work 100% of the time or is there issues with this method sometimes?

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.