Could myspace.com be causing this problem?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by roark37, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

I have copied a post below I made to the Other Firewalls section earlier today. The reason I am copying here is that I have just run a Ewido online scan and it found a Tracking Cookie that was not there last week. I had Ewido remove it but does that sound like the problem I describe below? And should this be the end of it or is there anything else I should do? Thank you.

This may a very naive question but is myspace.com known as a dangerous site to get viruses, spyware, and other malware? I am asking because yesterday when browsing on myspace.com using Firefox in the space of around a half hour I got 3 Protection Alerts from my firewall(ZA free) saying it prevented an attempted access of my computer. I can't remember the last time that happened as it has to be over a year ago. So I left myspace.com, then cleared the cache, cookies etc. and closed Firefox. I then reopened FF and surfed for about another half hour without going to myspace.com and no more alerts so I thought problem solved. Not so fast as this morning when surfing, again not on myspace.com, I got 4 more protection alerts. I think the first 3 said something about attempted access of port 500 but the last said something about GenericHost Win32 I think which I have never seen before. Is this something I should be concerned about? And is there anything I can do about it? It seems like whatever it is has got a bead on my computer now and I am afraid it will continue to try to get access. Is something like that scenario even possible? I have run full system scans using Ad Aware, Spybot, Superantispyware, and a complete online virus scan using Bit Defender and all came up clean with no hits at all. I don't know what else to do. Could myspace.com be causing this?

The only other unusual thing I did this weekend was that I used Microsoft Works for the 1st time. Since I did I was constantly getting pop up alerts in Zone Alarm saying Works was attempting internet access which I denied. I go so sick of these attempts I went in to Works and think I figured out how to shut off updating. Even so these were just phone home attempts. I only mention it because of that last Protection Alert I mentioned above with the GenericHost Win32 message as I didn't know if it could possibly be connected.

Sorry this is so long but I have never experienced anything like this before and don't know what to do or even if this is serious. I welcome all suggestions and advice.

Thank you.

roark37

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.