Could be SpyBlaster 3.3 needs fixes?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by vasummer, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasummer

vasummer Registered Member

I've read all the threads posted here, trying all the suggestions about getting the manual update to work for SpyBlaster 3.3. I receive the following after I click on update:

! Error Connecting to Update Server​

I disabled the free Zone Alarm before trying to update, but that didn't work. I've checked the little box to "try another method to" (whatever it said) in "Options". I uninstalled the first 3.3 download because of the update problem and then downloaded and installed another. The download and installation process went well, but it didn't alleviate the problem.

I have a brand new Dell that's three months old and armed with a number of good security programs:

Norton Antivirus & Internet Security 2004
    The free Zone Alarm Firewall
    Use Outlook & IE
    Ad-Aware SE Personal & Spybot
    SpySubtract
    Counterspy
    Ewido Security Suite

I keep everything up to date and run my security software weekly from day one. My computer is running well and acting very healthy. I'm thinking that there may be a conflict with some of the security software I'm running. Anyone have any ideas as to which one?

I sure would like to use this software, but I'm beginning to think I should wait for another release of SpyBlaster that will fix this update glitch. It's a real headache and software shouldn't react like this. But maybe someone out there feels there's a security conflict with SpyBlaster. o_O

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Concerning Norton Internet Security(NIS)....have you looked in it's configuration to see if there is a rule or rules for spywareblaster.exe ?

Reference this post---> Error Connecting

Have you attempted the download after temporarily disabling NIS ?

3. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

i have nis2005 and blaster too and i have had no problems with the new 3.3 version since i installed it the other day. got current updates 3-16-05

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I was wondering about this:
    As I understood from your posting, you have two firewalls installed:
    NIS2004 and ZA Free.
    In general: it is not recommended to have two firewalls installed.
    I don't know whether this might have caused your problem.
    Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Cheers, Jan.

5. Betty J

Betty J Registered Member

I am also having a problem updating, so will be interested in the replys. I posted a new thread for my problem. I post in a PC help forum and I am the only one that has had a problem updating.

6. William V. Meyer

William V. Meyer Registered Member

I found that the setting in options for SpyBlaster 3.3 entitled "Use the system connection/proy settings" does not work (at least with Internet Explorer 6.0, sp2); but it does work if you check "Use the proxy below" and manually type in the same information contained in IE6. Hope this helps. :)

7. vasummer

Hi Jan - I thought I had two firewalls available on my computer, but right out of the box I disabled the Windows firewall and downloaded ZA's free firewall.

Never had NIS before, so tonight when I checked the NIS configurations for SB, I noticed NIS has its own firewall. Unknowingly I've been running it, right along with ZA's firewall since day one and the computer's running fine. Think I'll go with the premise that "if it's not broke, don't fix it" and leave well enough alone.

The only paranoic thought I get is WHY isn't there a conflict with NIS AND ZA both running? Any thoughts about this? I never get any promptings from the NIS firewall as I do with ZA's that talks to you with messages about what's trying to access the internet. Nothing ever from Norton. It's as if the NIS firewall doesn't exist.

I should probably be posting this question someplace else on this site . . . Or pay a visit to the Virtualdr. site. Oh well. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  8. vasummer

Hey javacool - Thanks much for your suggestion to check into my NIS configuration and change any rules for Spywareblaster. NIS showed SB blocked. I changed it to "permit all" and then ran the check for updates and it worked perfectly. :D

Betty J: Doubleclick on your Norton Internet Security icon on your desktop and click on "Personal Firewall". Then find the yellow rectangle on the right that says "Configure", click on it. Then you'll get a screen that says in bold text "Program Control". A list of programs will come up with a scroll bar. Scroll down to find SpywareBlaster under the "S"s and with any luck you'll find that SB is shown as "blocked". If that's so, click on it and you should get a miniscreen that should allow you to check "permit" or "permit all". Then close everything and start your internet connection dial-up or broadband. Then open SpywareBlaster. Click "Update", but not the automatic update. You should be okay. Good luck and please post back with results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.