Could a driver be conflicting with Linux???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 19monty64, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

About a month or so ago after getting updates from Linux I closed Firefox down to do some work, and got distracted from "keeping an eye" on things. When I went to re-open my browser but my connection had been lost, so I booted back into Windows (&Opera) to diagnose the situmatation. Well I was still connected and luckily had a tech-buddy coming over (for coffee) so I let it go for the time being.
    Well neither one of us could remedy the connectivity-issues and he put it off on FF, although I didn't want to tell him in front of eveyone that foxy was fine in XP. Being a little lol O.C. about fixing anything that was out of kilter, I solved the problem with a re4mat. Had to, I even wiped out Windows "eliminating all possibilities."
    It wasn't just Wubi-installed Ubuntu either that couldn't connect AT ALL, it was also Wubi-Xubuntu, LiveUbuntu, LiveXubuntu and a patitioning-disaster with Ubu. I think it was called "Saying Good-bye to Windows" or something. I gave up after the triple-bypass of re4matting. I wrote it off as a buggy update that conflicted with something lo-o-o-o-o-ong gone!
    Well it's OctoberMadness again and I couldn't resist the temptation of FeistyFawn any longer. Live or Wubi, she was going back in. No such F%67U*^% luck!!! PCLOS failed me too! Oh well, April is not that long off, so F%67U*^% it!!! Suddenly it donned on me that I had updated that REALTEK Ethernet NIC Driver sometime before the crash. That must be it!!! Finding dLo's on the internet is easy enough, but trying to figure out if this is the problem, and fixing it, is more googlin' and yahooin' than I'm up to. I haven't slept since this Linux-bender started. Yes that's right...I suffer from linux-envy and could re-e-e-eally use a helping hand lol with this situmatation!!! The stack of install-CD's are really, really piling up!!! Please, no Windont-users telling me to switch! Not after meeting PCLOS!!! I got a real boost seeing that desk-top!!! Fitz purr-fect on a 1440x900!!!

Well-wishers can donate to the heart & stroke foundation on my behalf...

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Yes, the hardware / driver could be a problem. But:

1. There's no connection between Windows and Linux, so whatever you do in Windows is irrelevant.

2. Install your choice of Linux (if you can), the try to see if you have network or not, then try to configure it. Max, buy another card and replace it ... see if it solves the problem.

3. Try to isolate hardware incompatibilities one by one.

Mrk

3. 19monty64

In Windows and my router, they are config'd to use OpenDNS, and Windows uses REALTEK Gigabit and Fast Ethernet NIC Driver (RTL8169/8110/8139/810x). When I booted into Wubi-Ubuntu, it recognized OpenDNS and Realtek because it installs within Windows and can access Windows settings. I gave up on Wubi as it's not officially supported. I went to using PCLOS for those reasons. When configuring network it recognizes Realtek and can be set up accordingly. I have tried various network settings trying to set up a connection, such as roaming, fixed IP, etc., but nothing works. Wubi-Ubuntu had worked great for 6 weeks, and lost the connection while in Ubuntu without making any changes except UpdateMgr advising updates available. I have searched Ubuntu-forums and found no similar "bugs" and I posted here because of the experienced Linux-users frequenting this forum. The original Wubi-installer was 7.04.01, and i have also tried 7.04.02/03/04 with no success. My question is, should I install a different driver in Windows (other than Realtek) and see if PCLOS can use the different driver? or could there be something within PCLOS that could be used to solve the problem? remembering no internet connection except thru XP. If i download and burn to CD some Linux-fixes I could install to PCLOS that way? Any imput appreciated...

4. 19monty64

When using PCLOS Live-CD, it says I have a network, but no internet connection for browser when I open foxie. I config network settings to include OpenDNS, my IP, gateway, etc. but still unable to connect out. I can tell by my router that no connection is made.
    When I lose my internet connection, I can still get to my router addy with XP. Same with Wubi-Ubuntu, until the connection was lost. Since then Wubi (Ubuntu&Xubuntu) and Live-CD's (Ubuntu,Xubuntu&PCLOS) haven't been able to connect to router or internet.
    Maybe I'll just wait for Wubi to be an official-installer for GutsyGibbon 7.10, because I don't want to install Linux until I can resolve this issue with Wubi or Live-CD. I would like to install linux and use Windows in VM, someday I hope!

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can't help with knowledge. But hang in there.

6. 19monty64

Thanks zapjb, I will.

7. 19monty64

Anyoneo_O Similar experienceo_O

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Have you posted elsewhere Monty? Your connection type? And, do you flip the switch before, or after boot?
    What step's have you taken up till now? Have you tried without odns?
    Are you able to save cli output from lux, for posting under xp?

Steve

9. 19monty64

I've tried with/without OpenDNS, different ethernet-drivers, tried ethernet/roaming/static/manual-config, dhcp, even tried wubi and live-cd's ater reformatting, disconnected from router and direct to cable-modem. I've posted elsewhere, (and read old threads) googled, and even had a friend of mine (who uses everything but windows) try to figure it out. I see the errors in verbose-mode every single time with 3 different distros. I'm just hoping someone who has had this happen to them may shed some light. Doesn't look promising though, this happened in early August and results are the same with new releases.

10. GlobalForce

Are you running your computer's latest bios offering (this was limiting resolution under certain stro's for my hw config)? Does your isp officially support lux (not usually a problem though re-establishing a connect can be a real pita)? Answering my last question from above and providing a link to your other posting would be helpful.

After an online attempt are you able to save, then post these output's - dmesg and cat /etc/resolv.conf?

Steve

11. 19monty64

Have router, so before.
    Don't have wubi installed now, so no.
    Resolution was limited in Ubuntu, but PCLOS adapted to 1440x900 OK. Haven't updated my BIOS.
    Don't know if it's supported, but Ubuntu ran fine for 2-3 months never a problem.
    Will try booting into PCLOS now...brb.

12. 19monty64

Booted into PCLOS, verbose, everything recognized, could not sync clock to system time? Established default dhcp connection-no connection established with router as it didn't recognize OpenDNS (config'd in Win + router), so I manually set up IP, gateway, dns, etc. and then restarted x-profile per instructions. Log in as guest (or root), network config'd but still no connect to router. Last time I restarted, still couldn't sync time but also had failed to unmount file system errors several times til it ejected disk and restarted without hitting entero_O Boot into XP and all is fine, clock sync and allo_O Guess I'm doomed to Windows until GutsyGibbon release....try again then!

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

14. GlobalForce

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

16. 19monty64

I knew that there would be a simple solution!!! After patch-tuesday I have to re-check services usually, but I never would have thought about "power-mgr-settings".... Thank you GF for finding that thread, that's one of the many forums I've been searching for a solution!!! Thanks to WSF 101, I'm off to linux-heaven!!! :D :D :D :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb::thumb:

17. 19monty64

Ahhhhhhhhhhh......It feels sooooooooo good to be back in linux!!! Thanx again to all for your imput, wouldn't be in PCLOS without ya! *****:thumb: :thumb:

18. GlobalForce

Yeah, simple! Headed over to the pc forum's networking category and BOOM! There it was, right there on the first page; "SOLVED: Internet not working on desktop." The wol comment was too obvious knowing you had a copy of xp installed. Good confirmation follow-up and good advice on where to find answer's ICE, couldn't agree more. ;)

"Wouldn't be in PCLOS without ya!" - Perhap's, though you'd still be DOOMED! :D

Steve

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.