Could a Chinese-made Metro [subway] car spy on us?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hawki, Jan 8, 2019.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Could a Chinese-made Metro [subway] car spy on us? Many experts say yes.

The warnings sound like the plot of a Hollywood spy thriller: The Chinese hide malware in a [D.C.] Metro rail car’s security camera system that allows surveillance of Pentagon or White House officials as they ride the Blue Line — sending images back to Beijing.

Or sensors on the train secretly record the officials’ conversations. Or a flaw in the software that controls the train — inserted during the manufacturing process — allows it to be hacked by foreign agents or terrorists to cause a crash.

Congress, the Pentagon and industry experts have taken the warnings seriously, and now Metro will do the same. The transit agency recently decided to add cybersecurity safeguards to specifications for a contract it will award later this year for its next-generation rail cars following warnings that China’s state-owned rail car manufacturer could win the deal by undercutting other bidders..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d3874f1ac36_story.html?utm_term=.59d0baabccfc

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I believe it's there & won't be found for a couple years. Not enough dedicated resources & no real consequences.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

What shocks me is not the eventual spying but that so much of our needs are provided by Asian factories.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The economics of outsourcing?

5. longshots

longshots Registered Member

I'm not sure about all this alarmist reaction. I use a Chinese fork that tells me when I've reached my calorie limit for the day. It's great. ;)

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL. Everything I own (including the laptop I'm typing this on) was made in China. I doubt it's all spying on me. :argh:

7. guest

guest Guest

Chinese Rail Cars Spark Concern Over Cybersecurity
    March 19, 2019
    https://www.govtech.com/security/Chinese-Rail-Cars-Spark-Concern-Over-Cybersecurity.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.