Corrupted USB External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sharay, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharay

sharay Registered Member

I have Vista installed on my laptop and have been using TI8. I booted up using the TI8 recovery disk. I made an image of Vista and had it backup to an external USB drive formatted as NTFS. I have always imaged in this way and have never had an issue until now.

Now when I boot up with the recovery disk and begin an image, I get an corrupted file system. When I boot up to Vista, the operating system does not recognize the external drive but sees it as disk-2 attached to the file system. What could be the issue? Could it be Vista?

Thanks

2. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Sounds like the file system of the external drive has been buggered.

You might be able to recover files off it however I'm doubtful. If your not fussed about what was on there, re-format it and try again. IF you want your files off there then stop using it now and do some research on data recovery tools / programs.

Coincidentally enough you can recover partitions with Acronis Disk Director....

3. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I maybe wrong, but at the Acronis website, Vista support appears to be for ATI 10... only.

As for the recovery disk, that works under Linux OS and does not respect the HDD letter system of Windows. If you type in the Windows letter for the drive, you should see a drop-down menu with the names of your archive files.

As for the external HDD within Vista, if you click "My Computer" do you see your external drive? I imagine Vista retains Windows Explorer, if you access what it calls "Disk-2" can you see your files in it?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Drive letters will be confusing when using diff OS (Win--Linux). So name your drives in Windows besides assigning drive letters. When you click on drives under the Linux formthe Boot CD, you will see the same drive names even if the drive letters aren't the same as win.

This tiny tip more than once has kept me from restoring to the wrong disk !

5. sharay

sharay Registered Member

From within Windows, the drive is reported as; "Local Disk" I can not see the files in it. As I continue to try and recover data from it the format type reports as; "Raw Data" instead of "NTFS"

Thanks for all your time!

6. MTX

MTX Registered Member

TI8 does'nt support Windows Vista.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sharay,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine, which describes the behavior of the versions of Acronis True Image prior to Acronis True Image 10.0 Home and Windows Vista.

As it was mentioned, Acronis True Image 10.0 Home supports Windows Vista.

We could recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

As Unit01 suggested you could try to re-format the drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.