Corrupted images!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Qubit, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

Damn! Corrupted images! :mad:

I first gave the trial version a run to see if TI was going to work with my system.

Some system Info:
    ASUS A8V, VIA chipset
    AMD X2 dual core
    (2) 500G SATA drives on the VIA VT8238 RAID controller (setup as non-raid, no IDE drives installed)

The trial version appeared to work (after I converted my dynamic drive to a basic drive). I created a backup and then did a verification. Looked good. I then created a Rescue disk and booted from it. TI saw both drives so I selected the image to do a verification. Crap! Image verification using the Rescue disk is NOT supported in the trial version. :( That’s OK I said. I’ll purchase a copy anyway as it looks like its going to work.

Installed the purchased version (actually build 3633) and did a backup. Verified it in Windows. Looked good. Created a Rescue disk, booted and did a verification. “Archive is corrupted”

Yep that’s right. TI verification in Windows says it’s fine. Rescue disk verification says it’s corrupted!

If TI didn’t create corrupted files it would be perfect for what I need it for, but in its current state it is not useable. :mad:

2. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

Update:

I added a small PATA drive to my system.
    System specs:
    Asus A8V, AMD X2
    (2) 500G SATA drives, non-raid setup
    (1) 120G PATA drive

If I backup to the PATA drive instead of the SATA drive the verify with the Rescue disk is successful.

So basically:
    SATA -> SATA == corrupted images according to TI Rescue disk
    SATA -> PATA == good images according to TI Rescue disk

Unknown:
    Ability to Restore from PATA -> SATA successfully

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Qubit,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please start to restore "corrupt" image within Windows and see the results?

Please also create the image in rescue mode of your SATA drive and verify it within Windows and in rescue mode.

Please let us know your results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

4. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

Since this will erase my current boot drive I can not try this. :blink:
    Results of creating the image using the Rescue disk:
    SATA -> SATA:
    Time to create image using Rescue disk: >2 Hours!!!! .vs. < 30 minutes in Windows.
    Verify using Rescue disk == corrupt image reported by TI
    Verify in Windows == corrupt image reported by TI

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Qubit,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your SATA hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem still persists, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

Acronis Support.... stalling.:rolleyes:

I will not waist my time running a full disk check on my drives. My drives are NOT the problem. The problem is in TI and apparently Acronis doesn't even appear to be working on a solution.:mad:

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The thing is Qubit, Acronis have no idea how tech savvy you are or the exact setup of your system, therefore they need to get themselves a balanced playing field - making sure that the hardrive structure is OK means they can rule this out of the equation.

Don't forget that under most OS's unwell hardrive structures can be invisible to the end user, that of course doesn't mean that the harddrive is in tip top condition. Perhaps the Dynamic Drive back to Basic Drive has left some crudd behind. Yes I know that really all that should have happened is the 'magic number' has been changed and you may now have a 7Mb empty space lurking, but you never know.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.