Corrupted image woes with SP2

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidkistner, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidkistner

davidkistner Registered Member

I've used True Image successfully for a long time now on other machines. Yesterday we purchased two more licenses and used version 8 for the first time on two of our XP Professional workstations that use SP2. When we create the images on CD-ROM's and later try to verify the images we get the message:

Image archive is corrupted. Please choose another file.

I can "see" the file on the CD's, but True Image 8 will not verify or read the file. I'm creating a lot of "coasters" but can't get the software to create a readable file. I've searched this knowledge base and read others having similar problems with service pack 2. Am I "out-of-luck" with True Image on Windows XP Service Pack 2? :(

2. Sheki

Sheki Guest

I was able to create an image of SP2 for XP Home without problems to my hard drive.

However, the image on the DVD is corrupt for some reasojn. It's ok on the HD drive.

3. davidkistner

Thanks for the info, however I need to back up to CD's and all the software produces is corrupt CD's. Hopefully I can get my money back since the software doesn't work on Windows XP service pack 2 machines. :(

4. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

I asked for a cash refund because I went out and bought Drive Image 7 from Symantec (which worked 1st time) and I'm still waiting for a "Yes we've refunded you" email.

All i've had are emails trying to persuade me to stick with Ti8 untiil they can iron out the problems, provide logs or to pick another product instead of my having money back.

I said no and since then its gone quite.

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Is the issue people are seeing possibly due to WinXP creating a "Mt Rainier" (drag and drop) CD rather than a standard disc? Just a wild guess...

Perhaps disabling it would be something to test:
    My Computer -> [your CD-RW drive] -> Right-click -> Properties -> Recording -> Enable Recording on this drive
    Disable (uncheck) this option.

6. wdormann

OK, I just tested burning CDs with ATI on XP SP2 and they are indeed standard ISO files. So what I suggested above will likely make zero difference.

7. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

I burned my images straight from within Ti8 to both DVD+RW & to CDRW and all report back corrupted.

There are some serious compatability issues with Ti8 and based on the comments in this forum they really need to get that whip cracking as there are other products on the market new and old doing a far better job at the same price which work out of the box.

8. davidkistner

They haven't refunded my money yet.....heck, I can't even get their support to answer my 1st email yet. I'll try the Symantic Drive Image 7. It sounds from your reply that it works with XP Pro service pack 2 (right out of the box).

Meanwhile I'm hoping that eventually support will answer my email and refund my money. This was a horrible experience.

9. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

I've had a reply back this evening saying they will refund my money...
    Guess I was lucky in getting a quick resolution just a shame the product wasn't upto all it advertises.

10. arenared

arenared Registered Member

Here is what i think is going on.. make sure that you guys/gals are using the latest boot media created with the latest build of true image. i think that older builds have problems reading newer images created with newer builds.

11. SimonC

SimonC Registered Member

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, if only it was that simple.

I purchased Ti8 this past Sunday and have the most recent version on a clean installation of Windows XP (SP2). Upon reaching the point whereby WIndows was installed along with SP2 I tried to create several images of which none worked, all reported back corrupt.

12. arenared

arenared Registered Member

Well here is what i ran into.

I was using a new version of truimage server (8.0 build 768 )and created my images of a newly installed windows xp sp2.

then when i used my old version of truimage boot disk to read the images they showed up as corrupt.

i created a new boot disk using their media builder and then i re booted with that and swapped in my dvd and they read correctly.

so that's how i came up with my conclusion. I'm sure it may be a common mistake.

13. wokoenig

wokoenig Registered Member

Hi davidkistner and the other,

you are not alone with this problem.
    I Think ( when I read all the threads to this problem with corrupted files)
    that TI 8 is buggy and I hope that Acronis will fixe it as soon as possible.
    Now I will try NG 9. The incremental Backups are very fast, but the recovery is slower than by TI 8.

14. davidkistner

I've tried following the advice given in this thread and I am able to burn some good images, and some are still corrupt. I wonder what could cause intermittent success and failures? I'm using high quality CD's. I'm testing on four different computers - one a new Toshiba laptop and three other a fairly new desktops (all running Windows XP Professional with service pack 2. I have tried shutting down EVERYTHING prior to running TI (and I've tried burning images from the boot disk to remove Windows as a factor)....but it all comes down to the fact that sometimes you have success and sometimes you have corrupt disks. I've also tried running an older version of TI (version 7) on the three desktops and I also experience mixed results......some burns are fine, others are corrupt. I've burned to hard drives instead of CD's -- same outcome.....some success, some failures. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the TI product? I'm just curious. Is it just my machines or is this common? Also, what are the best alternatives in other software packages? I just want my backups to work -- every time. It's a pain ruining so many CD's, and it's a huge waste of time (very frustrating having to make multiple images just to get one the finally verifies as "good"). Thank you VERY much in advance for helping me with this.....I really need help on this.

- David Kistner

15. davidkistner

I mentioned in an earlier post that Acronis support had failed to contact me. They did contact me after that post and have tried to help......which I do appreciate. They just don't seem to be able to fix the software bugs. As near as I can tell it's just a buggy product.

16. davidkistner

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I also downloaded the most recent v.8 build, uninstalled the older version and installed a fresh copy of the latest software. I did this on my two newest machines -- I still get corrupted archives (and some good ones). One question I had for Acronis is why wouldn't you get the latest production build when you buy the software and download it from the Acronis site? I know this isn't a "big deal" but it would be nice to download the most stable build when you buy the product. Just a thought...the latest build didn't work either, so I guess it's just one less thing to "rule out" in the list of things to try to fix the bugs. It just seems to be a buggy product.

17. davidkistner

Here's an update.....I tried the software with a Windows XP Pro machine that did NOT have service pack 2 and have experienced the same failures. So I guess it's NOT related to service pack 2. On my machines it appears that corrupted images happen regardless of the service pack on the machine. As stated earlier, I DO get a mix of good archives and corrupt archives. It's just a random luck-of-the-draw type of thing. But it's frustrating because you ruin a lot of CD's this way, and of course it's frustrating due to the time investment in the failed backups.

So I guess the thread title is now outdated. It should be simply "Corrupted Image Woes".

18. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I guess that you tried a different brand of CD-Rs, because if you did not you may have a bad or poorly made batch. Sony or TDK are good brands. Burning a CD from TrueImage uses the whole CD (in most cases) and thus may reveal problems that are not apparent when you burn other CDs.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  19. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

This is one of the problems with 7.0 too. Verifying/restoring images works from a local hard disk but will not work on CDs or even over the network.

20. davidkistner

The CD media is not the problem. I have the same problems when I save the image to a hard drive. Even with the same brand of CD's I experience some successes and some failures. It's just a hit-and-miss situation. But one thing I'm certain of, the CD media I'm using is not a factor. I experience the same mix of success and failures when I save the image to another hard drive.

That's why I ask the question. Is anyone else experiencing this problem of hit-and-miss performance?

21. wdormann

Not at all. I regularly image my Linux and Win2k machines with ATI. I have imaged to hard drive, external USB drive, and over the network. I archive to DVD, but that's with images that have first been written to HD. I have never experienced a corrupt image.

22. davidkistner

You bring up a good point, but I'm also experiencing the problem across the board with my Redhat Linux server and Fedora Core 2 in addition to Windows XP Pro, SP1 and recently with SP2. Again, it's not all of the time, but about 1 in 3 archived images are corrupt......even when I run the software from the boot disk.

23. newestuser

newestuser Guest

I've always had hit and miss problems with ti. The best solution I've come up with is to create the images to another partition or hard drive and then use your favorite burning softeware to drag and drop to either cd or dvd. Of course rw's save a lot of coasters. This works consistantly for me.

24. davidkistner

That sounds like a good "workaround". This is probably a stupid question, but if the image checks out ok on the hard drive is it a "given" that it will be ok once it's burned to a CD? Or could it becme corrupted in the process of transferring it to the CD?

Otherwise I think this is a great idea.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

- David Kistner

25. wdormann

If your image is valid, then it will be valid after you copy it to CD.
    That is, assuming that there aren't major hardware problems with your burner and/or media. When you burn something into disc, it should be a bit-for-bit identical copy of the original. Otherwise, the computing world would be in big trouble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.