Corrupted hard drive partition -- Used Acronis to partition HDD for Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by FactorD, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FactorD

FactorD Registered Member

I have used Acronis disk director to partiton the HDD, I have Windows server 2003 running on the C:/ and Vista on D:/

My problem: When booting Vista (beta release 2) I get a corrupt HDD error, it then goes through a scanning procedure to which at the end it says something like "HDD full... CHKSDK aborted" or something like that. My HDD is not full.

The C:/ where windows server is, runs fine there appears to be no problems on this partition, I have run check disk within windows itself and have used "HDDLife" to check and it is healthy.

However there appears to be problems on the D:/... Like I said Vista boots from this partition and everytime I boot I get a few HDD corrupt errors and go through that annoying scanning precedure, and at the end it always says that "the disk is full" or "not enough space" etc.

What's crazy is, HDDLife shows this partition as not containting any data at all, it said there was no free or used space, yet I can see and access all the files just fine fomr windows itself, very strange.

I don't think there is anything physically wrong with the drive at all. I've been lead to the conclusion this may be something to do with how Acronis partitioned the drive. Plus, I have had a few bad resets/ power offs while using Vista which has caused some files to get corrupted.

I would like to get advice on how to....

1. Fix my HDD problem without removing or re-installing windows server (my main OS)
    2. Advise me on a suitable disk partition software for windows server (isn't there abuilt in hdd partioner in win server?)
    3. Recover my partition allocated for vista using whichever partition software.
    4. Re-partition the drive again, so I can install vista on it.

Thanks, please if you could reply ASAP it would be much obliged.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello FactorD,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software

Please launch Acronis Disk Director and choose "Check" in the right-click emerging menu when clicked on D: partition. If there is nothing wrong the most probably it is a Windows Vista errors (it is still Beta). In this case please just format this partition and install Vista again.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

3. wiak

wiak Registered Member

hello i got the same problem and am using Acronis Disk Director Suite to, here is how you overcome this problem and its indeed a acronis format problem, format the vista partition with the format tool in the vista installation program :D

and am using Vista RC1, windows format tool works fine no errors, its only when i format the partition with acronis :'(

i love acronis :cool:

4. annemail7

annemail7 Registered Member

I've been following Vista and testing it since it began. This new hard drive issue with the partition becoming corrupt is a new problem. Earlier Alpha builds don't have the problem. I believe it is a problem with Vista and not Disk Director. Although yes partitioning it with the windows partitioner and formatting it using Windows will solve the problem.

I have had the same problem. The thing is Vista is new and all these great products that work fine on all other OS's, don't work on Vista. I'm sure Acronis is working on updating there products so they are fully supported when Vista is actually released. Remember Vista is still only a beta.

5. dsmart[3000ad]

dsmart[3000ad] Registered Member

I recently installed Vista RC1 Build 5600 in a dual boot (XP Pro SP2) environment and was experiencing the same problem with drive corruption when I created the install partition using Disk Director.

However, since Vista works just fine when a partition is created using tools such as Partition Magic and QtParted as well as the built in partition tool, but not Disk Director, worries me.

I have also experienced a problem in XP SP2 in which if you restore a disk image using TrueImage, then XP will - at almost every boot - run chkdsk on the C: drive, even though the drive's dirt bit is not set and the drive is perfectly fine. So there is definitely something odd going on with DD and TI as it relates to their partition creation.

6. wiak

wiak Registered Member

sems to be related to acronis, might be some changes to acronis diskdirector suite v10 and true image v7 that curses this problems

7. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

I was getting corrupted ntfs partitons on my Vista drive too... I tried the 64bit version, and have never had any errors since, they all seemed to be with the 32bit version...

I did a clean install using the vista partition tool, and still got corrupted drive problems, so I dont think its purely based on Acronis....

Oddly enough, the only time I ever see disk partition problems, is if I try to use PartitionMagic on partitions that have been done with Acronis products, its alsmost like they work in 2 different ways, and dont like the way each of them work, PM always complains, and detects partition errors... weird!!

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes, I think that Partition Magic is looking for things to be fully backwards-compatible with the earliest Microsoft filesystems all the way back to DOS and FAT12. I get the same kinds of error messages from Partition Magic when using anything else to create/format partitions, including Linux fdisk, Qtparted and Acronis Disk Director. That's one of the reasons that I stopped using PM; the "errors" that it detects are not applicable to modern filesystems like NTFS and Linux ext3 and ReiserFS. Most of these filesystems don't care about being backwards compatible with DOS partitions.

I think PM is overly fussy about how things are done. All of the other partitioning tools seem to be happy with each other's results.

One thing in Partition Magic's favor -- it will refuse to do anything to an NTFS partition that is in hibernation. That's a nice safety feature. I've changed things on a hibernated NTFS partition on my laptop before and found all kinds of filesystem errors afterwards (fortunately they were correctable by chkdsk), so I always have to remember not to do that!

9. The Night Watchman

The Night Watchman Registered Member

That's right k0lo

TNW

10. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Which part are you referring to?

11. The Night Watchman

The Night Watchman Registered Member

The gist of the post before my first post

TNW

12. haggis663

haggis663 Registered Member

I am using the RTM version of Vista 64bit and am having the same problem. I nearly tore my hair out with constant corruptions of the Vista partition and thought Vista or my hardware was to blame. Finally, I came across this thread and deleted the Vista partition (which I had created with Acronis), and then recreated it with the standard XP diskmanager and did a full format. After reinstalling Vista (didn't trust the image backups as they might contain the partition or format error), the corruption issues went totally away.

This plus the other user's response clearly indicates a failure in which Acronis creates a new partition. I hope that a tool is delivered to fix up existing partitions already created by Acronis so that we don't get any more corruption issues.

13. Lowtrawler

Lowtrawler Registered Member

I am using the 32 bit version of Vista RTM and having similar issues.

I can confirm that using Disk Director Suite to partition my hard drive and then install Vista to the new partition was initially successful but very shortly thereafter resulted in the file system being corrupted. This happened to me on 3 occassions with 2 different disks. Using Vista to format the partition resolved this issue.

I can further confirm that after using Vista to format the drive and installing the operating system / software I attempted to increase the size of the Vista partition using Disk Director Suite. This resulted in a corrupt Master File Table and required a complete reinstall.

Based on my experience, I would say that Disk Director Suite should not be installed or used on Vista until Acronis issue a compatible version.

14. Abdul69

Abdul69 Registered Member

Same exact problems here (file system corruption and the corrupt Master File Table issue. MFT issue rendered Vista parition un-bootable first time and as mentioned above I'd also now be scared to use True Image Vista images to restore, so I have lost all so it seems :mad: ). As per others I used Acronis Disk Director 10 (2117) to partition the disk. This has been driving me dang crazy, but glad to know it's not me or Vista that is the problem according to this thread. Glad I found the thread!!! I will now re-install Vista and NOT use Acronis to parition and format the drive and report back with my results after a week or so (takes some time for the corruption issues to surface).

15. timothytripp

timothytripp Registered Member

I haven't installed Vista yet but am going to do it next week. The current system is running XP Media Center and I'd like to leave the data intact and dual-boot until I verify that everything I need will run on Vista. Once that's verified I plan to merge the partititions back together and clean up the old XP stuff. I had planned on using Acronis for this but now I'm hesitant. Will the Vista partition manager be able to do this? Here's my plan:

1. Split the existing partition (150GB) into a 50GB for Vista and a 100GB for XP.

2. Boot into Vista and run software installed on the XP partition (so the XP partition must be visible to Vista)

3. After verification, copy all user data from the 100GB partition to the 50GB partition.

4. Delete the XP (100GB) partition

5. Enlarge the 50GB partition to 150GB

Suggestions from anyone with a good deal of experience on the Vista partition manager would be apprecitated!

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Off topic post removed.

Please note this is the official Acronis Disk Director Suite support forum. All questions/answers regarding alternative partition management software should be posted in the Software and Services forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.