Corrupted Archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ratmando, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratmando

Ratmando Registered Member

I use TI 10 and mirrored my hard drive to a USB 2.0 external drive. I then made a boot disk. I put a new drive in my notebook, booted from the Acronis boot disk and tried to restore the data. It tells me the archive is corrupt. I have verified the archive. I then started over. Erased my archive on the external, redid it, verified it and tried to restore again. Same results. It says the archive is corrupt. Help.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

This most likely caused by an interaction between the drivers used in the Linux rescue environment and the USB chip set. I recommend you build a BartPE disk http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ and use one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ or the plugin included with TI. There are numerous (too many to count) reports like this.

3. GrahamG

GrahamG Registered Member

Thanks, for the two posts.

It is 9.1 (build 3567), at the moment the external drive is using the firewire connection. It has worked very well. The external drive also has a USB connection but I haven't tried it yet with the acronis recovery. I will try it today. But yesterday I did plug in a USB memory stick whilst acronis recovery was running from the backup CD, but nothing happened. It didn't see the USB drive.

On the other post I understand that this is a way to make an XP bootable CD. But from what I read I need a certified XP CD. I am not sure that there is one with the Toshiba laptop. It came with a recovery/application CD which when used puts the laptop back to factory fresh, So XP home edition must be on that CD. Or can I do this using the XP system installed on the laptop?

Fortunately, the laptop is running well. But I seem to have been running under the false pretence that the Acronis backup CD and the external Hardrive would work 100% and get me out of trouble.

4. thomasjk

No you can't use the installed system files. If you can borrow an XP install CD and copy the contents to your external drive you can build the BartPE CD that way. You will need a cd with at least SP1 preferably SP2. Try to get a Retail XP CD. OEM Cds can be problematic with this process.

5. GrahamG

I have just checked. I had forgotten but I do have an original XP Home edition SP2. Also and XP pro SP1 CD.

The Toshiba is XP home, so it looks like I am in good shape.

I would rather Acronis work as advertised though. For the heck of it I will try the USB cable on my external drive. Perhaps I should have made the Acronis recovery CD with the USB connected, maybe then it would have made the USB driver available?

If I make the BartPE disk can you tell me briefly what this gets me. I can see an XP CD running with USB/Firewire support. But where does Acronis fit in to the picture?

6. thomasjk

BartPE gives you a windows environment instead of Linux. Acronis TI includes a BartPE plugin (if you did a complete install). Otherwise use one of Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ to match your version of TI. The Linux drivers are not always optimized for USB drives and the varying chip sets seem to cause a lot of issues.

7. GrahamG

I have given up trying to get BartPE to compile on my HP PC which is running XP Media edition. However I have got a good compile on my Toshiba laptop, so some success. However the USB port is not working when I run XP from the CD.

I also do not understand how to get the Acronis plugin included in the compile. Can someone give me the steps needed please.

I have a question. I have Acronis TI 9.1, up to now I have not been running it in a networked configuration. Would this give me the ability to recover the entire hard disk contents via a remote connection on my laptop via a wifi lan? (the laptop still having a local firewire or USB external drive connected).

All I want is a reliable backup for the laptop. I thought Acronis was great until I realised that it would not recognise the USB/firewire port when the power had to be recycled to perform an entire disk backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.