Corrupt XLS and XLSX file

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by robert79, Jul 3, 2015.

1. robert79

robert79 Registered Member

Hi
    Got a new customers pc here. she had a virus last week. She then spent all day trying to fix it following instructions on various forums
    She has no idea what she actually did. the virus isnt there anymore, but now nearly nothing works on the pc. sys restore doesnt work and every single document is giving me the error "the open office xml file xxxx.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with its contents" details: "the file is corrupt and cannot be opened". this also happens with xls, xlsx, docx, doc, csv
    The files dont open on my work pc either.
    so far i have got the data off her disk and tried:
    1) open and repair in word / excel
    2) renaming as a .zip and then trying to extract it (doesnt work, zip file says it is empty) to get at the xml
    3) running checkdisk on the disk and then trying to open on both her and my pc
    4) using open office to open the files
    All have failed. i have run out of ideas.
    So i would like to know if there is any software i can buy that will bulk sort out all her docs, or if anybody has an idea as to how to get these to open.
    Thanks for your help!

2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Could it be that she removed a variant of cryptolocker but left the files encryped?

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I also suspect that those files got encrypted. If that is a case, restoring the files from backup (hope they got it) would be best solution.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.