Corrupt Truecrypt hidden volume header?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Maka56, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maka56

Maka56 Registered Member

I've done something stupid, I had a hidden volume within a volume and used eraser to wipe "free space" within it.

Upon remounting the outer volume it's fine but the hidden volume is telling me to format it or that it's corrupted:( .

I don't know why I even did that it was silly of me, I also dont have a backup of the headers either doh!, I looked into the truecrypt manual and it says it has a "backup header embedded" well ive tried it when mounting and nothing has changed and still cannot access it.

I was just posting this incase you guys had any other ideas?, I would post on the truecrypt forum but cannot due to having a free email adress.

Thanks.

2. Maka56

Maka56 Registered Member

Anyone?, im not sure if it's the header as ive used the backup and that hasnt solved it, maybe if it was a Corrupted Hidden Volume filesystem? ive tried to repair the boot sector using testdisk and that doesnt solve it either. Im lost and may have to just format if I cant find a way.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

For the future, there is no need to wipe free space on an encrypted volume.

4. Maka56

Maka56 Registered Member

Thanks point taken:thumb: . Just had to live with losing the data, this time I have made a backup of the headers.

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

If you can mount the hidden volume then its header is fine. It's your hidden volume's filesystem that's damaged. Try using data recovery software on the mounted hidden volume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.