Corrupt restored files can not be deleted.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vassalmm, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vassalmm

vassalmm Registered Member

I’m using the latest build and tried to restore a few files when the program crashed thus leaving files that cannot be deleted. The error returned is that the file is corrupt or unreadable. Do you provide or does anyone know of a utility that will successfully delete the files? I've tried killbox and BartPE with no success.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

If you haven't already done so, run chkdsk until there are no problems.
    Use the 'delete on reboot' option in Killbox - this mode can delete some files the standard mode can't delete.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vassalmm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe the issue in more details: what is the exact name of the product that you use and what exactly did you try to perform? Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this error. Could you please clarify what exactly error message you received when you try to delete these files?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I had this prob when trying to restore jsut some files from an image. I was practicing and using a drive that was otherwise not in use. I found the only way to clear the bad files out was to reformat. If used the Plug Image tool and copied the files, then there was no prob. That was with the build prior to last and I didn't try it again with the last build -- just don't have the time to keep testing ATI and the plug tool works.

5. vassalmm

I booted from the restore cd and selected files to be restored to an alternate location. The size of the restored files was only a few Megs. The process ran and seemed to be making progress then stopped. There was no activity or animation so I assumed the program crashed. I figured I should wait a while then I forced a reboot about three hours later. I was able to delete the restored files that I did not need, but two files remained. When I try to delete the files I received the following error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

As an experiment you might try using the program at http://www.standards.com/index.html?GetFileTypeDistribution.

after downloading the program, do the following:

1. Start TI and mount the image of the drive in the backup file.
    2. Start the GetfileTypeDistribution program.
    3. Choose the option to NOT have percentages output.
    4. Chose the option for text output.
    5. Choose the drive letters for the TI mounted drive and the drive to which you restored.
    6. Hit the Start button.

THere wil be two text files created, one each drive.
    Compare the file to see what's different.
    One way is to use the FC command in a command window.

If the results turn out to be identical, I would suspect that either the TI archive is corrupt, or corrupt files were backed up.

If the results turn out to be different, you'll at least learn the file type(s) of the corrupt files.

I've never run the GetFileTypeDistribution program to analyze a corrupt drive.

7. Cat-21

Cat-21 Registered Member

Why don't you try this to delete the files:

1. Take Ownership of the TI files in the Properties Dialog.

2. Go to the Security tab and give yourself and Administrator Full Control on that file and remove permissions on all other users including SYSTEM.

3. At this point try the BartPE CD or try Winternals ERD Commander.

If your still stuck create a new full backup image of the drive with the undelete-able files. Browse into that image and remove the files from your image and save the change, then restore the image back.

I am however shocked that you couldn't remove it with the BartPE CD.......

8. vassalmm

I had never used BartPE before, but when creating the BOOT disk I found it uses the Windows XP files as a base. Thus I figured it too would be unable to delete the files. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Michael

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vassalmm,

Could you please check the disks for errors as tachyon42 suggested?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

After that try to delete these files/foldes once again.

If the problem persists, please create a screen shot of the error message you have received, create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the issue appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. vassalmm

Acronis Support,

I ran chkdsk at least a dozen times and it does not report any errors. Somehow the previous restore did not update the file allocation data correctly. I have done file restores after this problem and all of those have been successful.

Michael.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.