Corrupt MBR-suggested solution

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by MBR_MBR_3, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBR_MBR_3

MBR_MBR_3 Guest

Hello,

Well,after nearly ten months of successfully using Acronis products,I finally experienced a close encounter of the near-fatal kind this morning.

I had to stay up all night re-formatting my drive because XP didn't take too kindly to Cursor XP.Since GNU/Linux/Unix is my operating system of choice,I was then going to prepare a few partitions for Yoper,Mandrake,Net BSD,SuSE 9.2 and Debian...
    So,on the newly-installed XP,I installed Disk Director as usual and began preparing the partitions.Just as I committed the first action and Acronis went to reboot the system,I get MBR error 3 then MBR error 1.."please boot from floppy" on restart.

I just booted from the Mandrake installation disk,installed Mandrake,wrote the bootloader to the MBR(For those unfamiliar with the 100% graphical Mandrake installation,this option is clearly presented during the installation process,under "install bootloader".You can't miss it.)NO problem.XP is accessible again.Acronis Disk Director completed it's operation,and is functioning perfectly once more.

I would suggest everyone keep a Mandrake installation disk to cover themselves in this event.(Or any other GNU/Linux distro,just chose Mandrake because it's simple for everyone to install).
    Better still,learn GNU/Linux/Unix,stick with it and use it if only to download e-mails and surf the 'net in relative safety.

Don't let an apparent MBR "oops" drive you crazy,it could be the invitation you need to install a new operating system that you will gain so much pleasure from.
    There's a distro out there with your name on it-go find it.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MBR_MBR_3,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

Please note that you can fix your MBR in the easier way:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.