Corrupt MBR-suggested solution

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by MBR_MBR_3, Nov 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBR_MBR_3

MBR_MBR_3 Guest

Hello,

Well,after nearly ten months of successfully using Acronis products,I finally experienced a close encounter of the near-fatal kind this morning.

I had to stay up all night re-formatting my drive because XP didn't take too kindly to Cursor XP.Since GNU/Linux/Unix is my operating system of choice,I was then going to prepare a few partitions for Yoper,Mandrake,Net BSD,SuSE 9.2 and Debian...
    So,on the newly-installed XP,I installed Disk Director as usual and began preparing the partitions.Just as I committed the first action and Acronis went to reboot the system,I get MBR error 3 then MBR error 1.."please boot from floppy" on restart.

I just booted from the Mandrake installation disk,installed Mandrake,wrote the bootloader to the MBR(For those unfamiliar with the 100% graphical Mandrake installation,this option is clearly presented during the installation process,under "install bootloader".You can't miss it.)NO problem.XP is accessible again.Acronis Disk Director completed it's operation,and is functioning perfectly once more.

I would suggest everyone keep a Mandrake installation disk to cover themselves in this event.(Or any other GNU/Linux distro,just chose Mandrake because it's simple for everyone to install).
    Better still,learn GNU/Linux/Unix,stick with it and use it if only to download e-mails and surf the 'net in relative safety.

Don't let an apparent MBR "oops" drive you crazy,it could be the invitation you need to install a new operating system that you will gain so much pleasure from.
    There's a distro out there with your name on it-go find it.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MBR_MBR_3,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/).

Please note that you can fix your MBR in the easier way:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.