Corrupt Images when in in Windows

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TheThumper, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheThumper

TheThumper Registered Member

Hello All,
    I have owned TI since version 8.0 and I have never been able to create a usable image from within Windows, any one else solve a problem like this?

I have the latest build of version 9.0 (I bought the upgrade thinking it might fix the problems I have been having).

Basically I can use the boot up disk and create an image of a drive onto another internal drive and verify and the image is fine, but if I try the same in Windows and verify then the image is corrupt. I have disabled Virus Monitoring (AVG) and firewalls (Zone Alarm). I have tried it on LOTS of different machines with ASUS, Gigabyte, etc motherboards. I have testing memory, ran PC stress tests, etc. I have tried it over the network to another machine (that is how I would like to backup my laptops) nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thump

2. bottom

bottom Registered Member

3. TheThumper

TheThumper Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I am running NTFS, but not any compression or encryption.

I am running WinXP Pro. I am so surprised that no one else has these types of problems.

I see all these great features, and have invested ~$80.00, but I can't use any of them. I am having to physically remove my laptop harddrives and install them (via an adapter) into another system to back them up so it's not much fun!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  4. ChrisNurse

ChrisNurse Registered Member

Validating a bad experience

I am having a complete saga trying to rebuild a Media Centre machine. I have done a clean install and been getting the odd blue screen of death, and having resinstalled so many times, I bought and started using Acronis.

I am having the same situation now that backups made from within windows are corrupt when verified. This isn't much cop, when the strap line is Compute With Confidence is it. Out of all the backups, I've had only one that restored.

Thanks to the posts on here at least I know if I boot from the rescue CD that I've burned then we take windows out of the equation.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great product, there are a lot of bases covered with the rescue media, secure zone and so on. But some how it fails to totally deliver.

If there is a chance that backing up encrypted or compressed drives introduces a risk then the software should say so. If there is a problem writing to a partition then the software should say so as it does the writes, not after the entire backup operation is complete. Why not write, read, verify...don't do the whole backup and then verify. Just a thought.

Well again, there's hope, the next version can only improve things (I hope) so long as these guys buy into our faith in their ability to deliver.

5. bottom

bottom Registered Member

got to know similar problems,
    but in my case it was an external device...
    the mainboard chipset drivers
    and the firmware of my external device were quite buggy
    whe copying large files (which mainly happened during backups)

after installing latest patches
    everything came to a "happy ending"

so my advice would be
    - install latest TI

- look for new (not necessarily latest) drivers
    for all devices involved in imaging
    (mainboard, chipset, hd-controller, ...)

- try to find out if other people using same hardware/software
    have similar problems (not just with TI)

- check Your memory ... !!!!
    e.g. with http://www.memtest86.com/

hope this helps

bottom

6. ashwin

ashwin Registered Member

Have you tried customer support? I saw a review that said their support was the best...response usually within 2 hours.

<snip>

I am considering the TI 9.1, and have little experience in backups, so I'd like to know if the support is there as the review said.

Sorry I can't offer more help...best of luck.

Ashwin

edited to remove link to rogue site as listed at SpywareWarrior - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Re: Validating a bad experience

If you have a machine that blue-screens why would you think that a backup program is going to run flawlessly under Windows?

The problem with compressed files normally is that trying to read them with the bootCD version is impossible since it doesn't understand the compression. Note that this applies to the image backup files; TI backs up NTFS compressed and encrypted folders OK. It may or may not understand an encrypted drive and in that case may elect to backup the entire contents.

The validation of an archive is not done by reading, writing and then comparing what is written on a byte for byte basis. It writes the entire archive and calculates a checksum for it. The validation routine then reads the entire file and should end up with the same checksum if archive is good. The data is changing on a Windows system disk when the backup is being done so going back and trying to compare disk contents to what was written is impossible. Also, the checksum method allows the archive to be valdiated by this method at anytime and on any machine. It only takes 1 bad bit in a multi-gigabyte archive to declare it corrupt.

Best way to get backups to work IMO is to get them working on an internal drive as a backup device since it is least problematic. However, the machine should be stable before attempting this. TI puts a real load on memory and disk systems.

Make sure system/memory is not overclocked.
    Run memtest86+ overnight and if no errors appear and archives won't verify, try running on different memory or 1 stick if your PC has more than one.
    Run chkdsk X: /r on all your partitions. Substitute X for the drive letter of the partition being tested. Will want to reboot for C.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TheThumper,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please do the following:

- Create a new image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running under Windows and then validate this image when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

- Create a new image archive when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results.

Please also try to mount the image using Mount Image tool of Acronis True Image when the program is running in Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ChrisNurse,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please do as seekforever and check the disks for errors:

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)

- Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"

where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

Also perform the same test as I have suggested to TheThumper in the post above and run Memory test and inform us about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.