Corrupt Image - Solution Found

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve Mattos, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Mattos

Steve Mattos Guest

I have been trying to resolve the Acronis True Image 8 "Corrupt Image" problem for 6 months. Unfortunately, Acronis technical support has not replied to my many requests for assistance. The problem remains intermittent and appears to be sensitive to background processes, system speed, drive format, etc.

The Acronis comments suggest this problem is related to flawed hardware such as the drive, memory, etc. This is technically unreasonable because systems are rarely the blame when only one application fails.

I am also very surprised with the number of problem reports posted to this forum. I’ve been in the technology industry for 20 years…I have never seen such unreliable software released to production. The number and scope of the errors suggest code that is more closely related to beta software or freeware. I give Acronis credit for creating the forum, but also criticize their lack of customer service.

~ removed advertisment for competing product ~ (LowWaterMark)

Dear Acronis: Can you explain why my defective system works perfectly with competitive software?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Steve Mattos,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for all the inconveniences.

Our Development Team is working on the problem with corrupted images. Acronis doesn't want to sell any faulty software, we are doing our best in order to fix all the problems. That is why we collect all the information concerning the issues with Acronis software and contact our customers not only via e-mail but also via this forum. Several problems were resolved this way. We expect the "corrupted image" problem to be solved as well.

I do remember your case, Steve. And it is still opened so we will definitely contact you if we get some news. The thing is that we cannot reproduce this problem in our Testing lab. All the images we made inside Acronis (on our testing computers, on developers' computers, on the computer I use for working and posting messages on this forum) are good and not corrupted.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  3. Fran Alph

Fran Alph Guest

To Mr.Mattos: I'm working with Studio's PC and with an Acer portatil. While the portatil runs True Image perfect in the PC I am having the same problem as you: continuosly I obtein the message "the archive is corrupted". I can create images, but it's impossible when I CHECK them or when I try to recover my system from am image created.

If anyone knows the solution please write it here.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Fran Alph,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for this problem being not solved yet.

Please try to set your CD burner speed to something less than maximum. If that doesn't help please send to support@acronis.com the model of your CD burner and the sysinfo.nfo file which you can obtain in the following way:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)".

This information will help us to solve the problem.

If you don't get any response in 48 hours please send me a private message with your Acronis request # that will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. bocsor

bocsor Guest

Dear Acroins:

Since, to my knowledge, Acronis has never divulged the exact nature of what the "check image" utility is testing, it is difficult to speculate on the cause of the apparently widespread "corrupt image problem". However, having read through many of the threads on this problem in this forum, it appears to me that on some hardware/firmware systems, the characteristics of the image created differ enough from the criteria that the check image is expecting that the "image corrupt" endpoint is reached. This does not necessarily mean that the image is not useable. In many cases the image can be mounted and files restored. The emphasis on defective hardware (cd burners, hard drives, etc.) I think is misdirected - there is too much variance for this to be a probable cause. However the occurence of the error is definitely related to the specific system from which the image was generated. There appear to be a wide variety of machines on which this occurs, but many of these are still PC based, Windows OS machines which pretty much have to function according to a common set of hardware/software specifications. The conclusion would be that some very MINOR configuration differences can result in an image which in some MINOR characteristic is not acceptable to the "check image" routine.

I would suggest to Acronis that they take a careful look at the "check image" algorithm, and the specifications/criteria for a "corrupt image", to see if there isn't a problem at that end. In fact, I believe that one of the postings on this formum has actually reported a successfully restor of a "corrupt image".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.