Corrupt Image restore/check fails but can be explored?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dschoppe, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Hi,

I created an image of a striped RAID (2x200GB SATA drives) to another 400GB SATA drive. The image is about 160GB. I can mount and "explore" the image in TI and even run WinXP's "disk error check" on the mounted image. However, every attempt to "check" the image under TI or to restore the image fails.

I also tried booting from a TI rescue CD. Because this is a 15 day trial of Corp Workstation, the check image feature is disabled with the boot CD. So I copied my image back to the raid drive (C:), deleted the original copy on the 400GB SATA drive(S:), and then tried to restore from the image on C: to S:. This failed as well with the corrupt image message.

On the bright side, TI does seem to recognize my NVidia striped RAID. When I boot from the TI CD, TI does see the RAID as one large drive. Unfortunately, if I can't restore an image, it really doesn't matter :(

Thanks,
    Don

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Don,

Image corruption has often been traced to bad, aggressively timed or overclocked memory. Have a read of this previous thread titled <Memory problem> and then download Memtest86+ from the link provided and run it for a few hours. There should be zero errors reported.

Regards

3. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

Thanks. I'll run a memory test, but I am not overclocking at all. My motherboard is an MSI Neo2 Platinum with an AMD64 3500+ processor. 1GB of Mushkin RAM.

Regards,
    Don

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dschoppe,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would agree with Menorcaman, since the problem with getting the corrupt backups is usually related to the faulty hardware or PC\memory overclocking.

One more reason possible is that some of the hard drives just can not handle large files, e.g. when the file size is more than 100 GB.

Please create a new image specifying the image archive split size manually as it is described in section 4.4 of Acronis True Image 8.0 User's Guide (set it to 2GB, for example). Verify the image by means of the Check Image tool then and inform me about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. dschoppe

dschoppe Guest

I ran the memtest86 overnight (about 30 passes). No memory problems detected.

Next, I'll try creating a new archive, split into smaller files, as Alexey suggests. I'll let you know if this helps.

Thanks,
    Don

6. dschoppe

dschoppe Registered Member

Alexey,

It looks like you nailed it. I tried a 2GB file split size, and now the image checks OK.

Thanks very much!
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.