Corrupt image, or is it??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Frostbite, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostbite

Frostbite Registered Member

After a windows failure, I tried to restore using acronis true image 9. Sadly it failed, although I was able to get my PC pretty much back as it was, I would have prefered to have been able to use my (tib) in full. Anyway, with a no working PC, checking the image and guess what? Acronis reports it as being OK,,,hhmmm, should I risk it, why did it report corrupt and then not and finally, what is the meaning of life.

Frosty

PS I'm on build 2,323 but cant get the updates as update page will not load, any alternatives?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The dreaded intermittent in some form. I had a problem where a previously verified image would would fail a verify then on the next pass it would be OK. Mine was caused by a marginally bad SATA drive cable.

Some early versions of TI9 would give erroneous verify messages but I think they were before your version. Don't know why you can't get to the page, I got there yesterday, but you should update to B3567.

Could be that you have some marginal hardware in your PC; it is known that TI gives the memory and disk systems a good workout.

To rule out, at least to some degree, hardware I would run Memtest86+ (www.memtest.org) overnight. I would also run chkdsk X: /r where X is the drive letter of the partition to be checked; check all partitions. I don't think your problem is the disk but chkdsk is easy to run.

If there was meaning to life we wouldn't be fooling with %$#* computers.

3. Frostbite

Thanks for the meaningful reply,but it still leaves me wondering whether I shoud now try and boot and try and restore image and we all know what I'm gonna try, (I'm just steppin outside for a minute, I w'ont be long)

frosty

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Tick the "Verify before restoring" or whatever it's called box. That way if it won't verify it won't blow your system away (hope that's the case in your version).

Make another backup and verify what you have now so you have 2 images.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. Frostbite

Well, even though acronis verified the image, it went on to format etc and then reported as corrupt:mad:

https://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/products/#Product2151 Don't seem to work for me so Ive got a friend to d/load it for me and that will be installed tonight. In answer as to where It's being saved, It's on a usb external drive. Incidentally, as the image was being reported as being ok so many times, we took the drive round to a friends pc and installed the drive as eide, it still failed:mad:

Thanks for the help

Frosty

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Hello Frostbite,

First of all, please try restoring an image when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then pease try placing this particular image to any other storage devices, i.e. another external hard drive, local or network drives.

If that does not help either then please provide us with the following information:

- Can you confirm that this particular image archive verifies successfully both when the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- As far as I can understand the error message stating that this particular image is corrupted appears when the image restoration is in process. Could you please clarify when this error message appears exactly?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Frostbite

> Hi Alexey

> Re your message below, (PREVIOUSLY EMAILED)

> In asking me to actually try and restore from an image obviously runs the
    > risk of me losing my OS and possibly data and I am not prepared to risk this
    > until I have obtained another hard drive which I can experiment with.

> The image in question was verified OK in windows and from bootable cd but
    > was the previous build, I have subseqently updated build as suggested and
    > the image still verifies OK from windows as it originally did, however when
    > I tried to restore from the image,with the previous build, it reported OK from bootable, but then went on to report corrupt. No damage was done at this time because windows would not boot in any event and it appears my OS had problems (which is why I tried to restore).

> A new image has been made with the latest build and verifies as good both in
    > windows and from bootable but as mentioned above , I am loathe to try to
    > restore until spare HD is obtained.

> Mem test has been run and reports no errors.

> re the question about when the error message appears, could you be more
    > specific?

> Thanks, Mr P Beavan AKA frosty

> PS I seem to be replying to more than one member of support staff and ask
    > who to deal with and if it will be dealt with by email or through the forums
    > as this is becoming a little confusing nevertheless, I would be happy to
    > provide you with any info that may assist myself and others if at all
    > possible.

9. sanyock

sanyock Registered Member

Hi,

I encountered just the same problem when image file is compressed by NTFS.
    Workaround: uncompress it (compression checkbox in windows explorer file properties).

Wonder if this can be fixed

Alex
    http://www.aulix.com

10. Acronis Support

Hello Alex,

Compressed NTFS volumes shouldn't cause any troubles.

Could you please clarify if the images were created from within Windows or when booted from Acronis True Image bootable media?

Please verify the image either within Windows and booted from Acronis True Image rescue media.

Please also make sure you're using the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home.

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.