Corrupt Image from CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LabRat411, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LabRat411

LabRat411 Registered Member

Software is TI v8 for Windows Server build 937 on a server running NT 4.0. Backup is saved in multiple 700mb files rather than one large 35gig file. No compression is used. The backup is stored on another PC and is accessed over the network.

Problem is that the installed software verifies the backup image but the Restore CD says the image is corrupted. The server does not have a CD writer so I downloaded a trial to another system and burned the Restore CD from there. The server boots fine from CD and the build listed in About from CD is 937, the same as the installed software (although the graphic screen says "Trial" across the top panel). The Restore CD will verify about 10-15% of the image then stops stating the image is corrupt. I have run several backups and the software reacts the same each time.

Why does the Restore CD have a problem with the image? I need to upgrade drive capacity but I won't be able to restore with the Restore CD. :doubt:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  2. LabRat411

Maybe I didn't make it clear that I am in the middle of an upgrade to my server and need help with this. I have AMP. Should I call for support or can you give me help here?

3. LabRat411

OK. I found the Update page (had only been going to the Trial Download page and I knew that wasn't what I wanted). I see the current build is 1018. I will update and try again.

But what about creating the Restore CD if my server doesn't have a CD burner? I'm worried that this is this is my problem with the corrupt images. Can this be done on a shared CD drive? I think you should add a download for an ISO image for the Restore CD. As a network tech with close to 20 years experience, I will not allow my servers to have burners for security reasons. You need something like a download image just for the Restore CD for situations like this. Just a suggestion.

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

The cd can be made from any computer, it is not specific to the one it is made from.

5. LabRat411

Thank you for the response, Noonie. There just isn't any way to burn the CD from my server. What it looks like I will have to do (again) is install a server OS on a PC with a burner, install CD burner software, install TI, burn the CD, uninstall OS and rebuild the PC. It is a pain and a Restore CD image download would help. At least this time the CD will be from the same TI update download rather than the trial program download. I'm really hoping the problem was because my current Restore CD was from a trial program download.

6. noonie

noonie Registered Member

It may be easier for you to install the latest version on your server and temporarily put a burner in the server. Wouldn't that be faster?

Also, you may want to try cloning to the new hdrive using the boot cd, instead of the image route.

7. LabRat411

LOL! This is an HP LXr 8000 mounted in a rack system--the thing is like a proprietary tank. I think it would take me a week to swap the CD and it would probably have to be a special order $500 HP proprietary drive. Also, I am replacing all the drives in a RAID 5 array. I appreciate the suggestion, tho.

I have been reading a lot of posts about corrupt images. It really worries me that the system verifies the backup but the recovery CD doesn't. Which is correct? If I ran the restore from the system onto the RAID, would it work or just trash the data? This is a production server and I can't just "try it and see what happens." Wish I had researched these forums before I spent $700 on something that may or may not work. o_O

TI has worked so well with my client workstations that I completely revamped my server backup from Backup Exec to TI for Server. I'm beginning to question that move. Really it's my fault for not testing the recovery process months ago when I bought TI for Server. Very good thing this upgrade is happening--I would NOT want to find out all of this in a disaster recovery situation. Live and learn. I'm sure I will get it worked out but it is taking much more time than I had planned. :rolleyes:

8. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Although your HP LXr 8000 can take an amazing variety of hard drives, it should still only take a run of the mill ide burner. It doesn't have to be mounted.

I don't blame you for not wanting to play with it.

If it can't be down long, I hope you have a lot of drives to play with for a restore.

Acronis should be able to give you a link to a cd iso download to save you some install hassles. They have done it before.

I think I would only try a restore to the new empty drives, not the ones with the existing data.
    I don't bother verifying the images anymore, because of the inconsistant results, I just make sure all the files are 700mb and the last one less. Have also never had any problems over a network. The only way is to try.

Good luck.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LabRat411,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please download and install the latest build (101:cool: of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site and see whether the problem still persists.

If you do not have CD burner on your server and you do not have the ability to create the bootable rescue media on another server, please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support.
    Please provide the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. Our Support Team will provide you with a special ISO image in order to create the bootable rescue media.

As you have Acronis Maintenance and Priority Support (AMPS) for Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows, you can contact our Support Team by phone.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

10. LabRat411

Thank you very much for the reply, Tatyana. I will do as you suggest and call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.