Corrupt Files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by neilt, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilt

neilt Registered Member

Hello everyone. My first time in a forum although I have been using ATI 3 to 4years. I need to restore my C drive as it is freezing at desktop load! and find all my recent tib files(30) even back to the first full copy are reading corrupted. I have used bootable CDs of latest ATI build and my original version 8 but neither will read the backup files. I do have some v. old tib images that do not bring up the corrupt file error message so if I have to I can use them but they are a long step back in time. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. Neil from UK.

2. OldITGuy

OldITGuy Registered Member

A couple of thoughts. Looking back to when the good backup images were created, what happened around the time that you start seeing corrupted images? Didi you install a new version of TI? Did you change the location of the backup images? There are a lot of things that can cause TI to think that the image is corrupted. Unfortunately, if you only have one computer you are in a difficult spot, but you still have some options.

First of all I would restore my computer from the newest working image that you have. That gives you a computer to work with. Then I would check your latest images. If they are stored in NTFS compressed folders, change those folders to uncompressed. The Linux restore program can't handle NTFS compression. If that 's not it verify the backup image(s) running true image in Windows. If they verify ok then you have some more options.

Temporarily hook another hard disk to your computer. Restore your latest image to that disk drive. Then either exchange that drive with your current C: drive or boot from the TI restore CD and clone (copy) that disk to your original C: drive and then remove the temporary hard drive.

Another option, somewhat more complicated, is to create a BartPE disk that contains the Acronis BartPE plug-in. This will allow you to run a reduced function copy of Windows from your CDROM drive. Running the Acronis plug-in from that environment you can then restore your C: drive from your latest backup image. This approach uses all the Windows drivers so you don't have the limitations of the Linux operating system.

At least this gives you some things to try before you just give up and reinstall Windows, or restore from the last good backup and try to implement all the program and data changes you made since then.

3. neilt

neilt Registered Member

Thanks OldITGuy,

Yes I installed the latest 9.--- build of ATI & then did a backup before proceeding to disc tidy, bad sector check & defrag.

The backups tho are on an external FAT32 hard drive that has worked fine before. The old backups that do seem to be OK are in a separate folder on the same external HD.

I used another XP PC to verify the recent problem backups and rather than saying they are corrupt it says they are not ATI files!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fortunately this other PC is working fine with the latest ATI installed....

I think I am a bit stuck.

neilt

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know if this your problem and if you really have the latest build (B3677 for TI Home) it likely isn't but:

TI 9, Build 3567 and later use a different "engine" which results in a different file format. If you using an older build to try and validate the build 3567 and later archives it will say they are not TI files. Build 3567 and later can read the older format files with no problem.

5. neilt

neilt Registered Member

Dear Seekforever,

I think I've got it cracked. Thank you for your help.

I did download the newest build to the other PC but it clearly didn't update properly. So I uninstalled ATI and reinsalled the latest build which WAS able to read the so called corrupted ATI files.

Made a bootable CD from latest ATI & booted the ill PC. The latest image was corrupted but the penultimate one has restored fine.

More than one PC is a lot of work to maintain but then again sometimes you need another PC to solve problems!

Thank you once again.

neilt :thumb:

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Glad you had success. You sure have it right about needing more than one PC, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't search the web when trying to fix something, PC or othewise. Sometimes just handy to confirm on another one that is indeed the way something is or isn't supposed to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.