Corrupt Archive - e00070020

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ikanuba, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikanuba

Ikanuba Registered Member

Hello All
    I purchased TI to backup my entire C: drive on my IBM T43 laptop. I placed the backup on a New 300 GB Seagate external USB hd.

Unfortunately my laptop has now crashed and I need to restore that partition, but everytime I try to use the Acronis Rescue CD to restore my partition I get the error that the archive is corrupt (error code: E00070020).

I have made sure to validate the backup to make sure it was good and it was and if I run validation on it now it still says that it's valid?

I am using the latest build of TI and have made sure to create the .tib file and rescue cd in the same version 3,677.

I have very important data in those .tib files and need to figure out how to configure the TI software so that I can restore this information back onto my HD.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dennis

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Have you tried to mount the image using the TI "Mount Image" function?

Let us know what happens when you try to do this.

3. Ikanuba

Unfortunately when I was trying to restore the partition using the acronis boot cd, something happened in the process which resulted in my operating system no longer being functional (In other words my pc will not reboot unless I have the TI Bootable cd in), so in order to access the TI program I have to use the TI Bootable cd and that does not have the option of "mounting the image".

Thank You
    Dennis

4. Ikanuba

Well I have done some more investigation into this problem. I loaded TI on another computer and tested the backup archives and they checked out fine which leads me to believe that there is a problem trying to restore my disk partition using my IBM T43 and my external Seagate HD?

What is it that TI doesn't like about the combination and why does it keep telling me that the archives are corrupt when they are not?

Thank You
    Dennis

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Do you know why you had the crash and now have to restore? In other words, could it be a hardware failure that is still present on the machine.

A TI archive validation consists of opening the archive file(s), reading them and calculating a checksum. This checksum is compared to the checksum stored in the archive file and if they match the archive is declared OK. If not, it is declared corrupt.

Naturally, there are various reasons that you may not get the correct checksum. Two are bad memory and disk problems.
    It is possible to have a bad memory location involved the the checksum calculation that causes no problem during the normal course of PC operation and it only takes one bad bit to declare a multi-gigabyte archive as corrupt. It is also possible that the archive will check OK in Windows but not using the rescue CD Linux environment because they do not map memory the same way.

Systems should never be overclocked when using TI unless you know for certain the system is stable at those settings with TI. TI will give the memory subsystem a real good workout and may cause it to fail where it is OK in regular use.

Memory can be tested using the free memory tester Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org, it is best to let it run for several passes and overnight is best.

Some external USB drives don't play nice with the chipset in the PC. Usually they don't like large files. Unfortunately, if the PC is inoperable it is difficult to track this down until it is fixed.

Normally, a fix is to remove the drive from the external case an mount it as an internal drive but this is unworkable on portable computers. If it will fit, you could put your archive on a DVD using a burning program like Nero and try reading the DVD within TI to restore it. If you do this, use the burning programs, "verify after burning" feature to ensure the DVD is good.

Edit: Fixed typo, thanks Christopher!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  6. Ikanuba

Tabvla
    The "mount image" worked. Do you have any ideas on how to now restore this partition to my laptop hd?

Thank you
    Dennis

7. Ikanuba

Thank you seekforever for the info and advice.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Unfortunately, the problem may have nothing to do with TI or your image.

The IBM T43 is delivered with a special hidden partition that contains a set of IBM utilities, some of which are critical to the boot process. (The "hidden partition" is now almost a standard with laptops).

Your very first task is to determine if this hidden partition still exists and is still functional. As this is a task that could go horribly wrong, I suggest that you get advice from IBM Support. If the hidden partition has been corrupted then you will need to rebuild your laptop using the IBM T43 utilities - again a task that would best be done under the guidance of the manufacturer.

If the hidden partition is still there and is functional then we can deal with the 2nd problem.

There are numerous reports of the T43 being incompatible with Seagate drives. In fact, it seems that IBM has perhaps built in a little bit of "brand loyalty" into this product in that the consensus of reports seems to indicate that the T43 is only 100% compatible with IBM/Lenovo disks. (Lenovo being the Chinese company that took over the IBM-PC division).

Again, I think you will need expert advice from IBM on whether your Seagate disk is compatible with the T43. (I read an unofficial report that IBM/Lenovo are providing compensation in the form of a replacement disk for users who cannot get the T43 to work with Seagate disks - you may want to push for this!!)

So in summary. My suggestion is that for the moment you assume that True Image is working just fine on your system and that your image(s) are good. And that the problem lies with either the hidden parttion, the Seagate disk or both.

If you do resolve this issue please report back to the Forum so that we can all benefit from your experience.

Good Luck :)

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ikanuba,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please note that, as seekforever has already mentioned above, problems of this sort are usually related to the faulty hardware such as bad memory stick, hard drive or hard drive controller, USB port and the alike.

Could you please perform the following tests and inform us about the results?

- Try validating backups saved to the Seagate external USB hard drive both when the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your IBM laptop is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home;

- If possible, try validating these same backups located on this same Seagate external USB hard drive both from under Windows and using Bootable Rescue CD but on any other computer;

- Test your laptop memory with memtest86+ utility and see the result;

- Try saving backups to any other storage device(s) (e.g. CD, DVD, any internal, external or networked drives, etc.) and see if the problem persists;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, from laptop's internal hard drive to the Seagate external USB disk and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files are moved\copied.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Let us know when error message stating that the archive is corrupt appears exactly;

- Have you created a disk\partition image of the laptop's entire hard drive or it's system partition only?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hello Alexey

Please note that Seekforever's post was posted before the last posting by Ikanuba and therefore he did not know that the image could be mounted.

I refer to the last posting by Ikanuba...
    This indicates to me that there is nothing wrong with ATI, the TI images, Memory, the HD controller, the USB port...etc... but rather that Ikanuba has inadvertently corrupted the hidden partition or that the Seagate and T43 are not communicating properly, which can be an intermittent problem.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

This is an interesting situation. The validate fails on the T43 but the image can be mounted. The relatively little time it takes to mount an image indicates that there is no validate in the process so some "less than fatal" hardware error could still be present on the machine.

The fact that another PC validates the archive whereas the T43 doesn't points to a problem with the T43 system/external drive.

Since validating only relies on totalling up the data in the archive it doesn't need to know anything about special partitions and it has been demonstrated that this process works on another machine. I don't think a mount rules out a HW problem on the T43 but does give confidence the archive is probably OK.

12. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Seekforever posted...
    Spot on! :thumb:

13. Ikanuba

Hey Guys
    Thanks for all the help, especially the info about mounting the disk.

So far here is what I have confirmed and done:
    1. The archive is indeed valid and good. Tested it on multiple other computers.

2. I am able to mount the image on my T43, but not able to restore the disk partitions or files.

3. I didn't advertantly mess up my hidden partition, which I was aware of, what happened is that I tried to restore my partitions (both the IBM pre-load and the hidden partition) using the Acronis Bootable CD that i created in Acronis. Once I did that and it failed. I tried to reboot the computer and it said that my MBR was all messed up and then I got the error "error loading operating system". At this point I simply restored windows, called IBM had them send out some rescue disks and mounted the image and grabbed the folders I needed and put them to my external drive.

4. I am going to reload my T43 back to factory specs and use the IBM restore and recovery feature with my Seagate to keep a valid backup instead of Acronis TI.

I do like the Acronis product but it appears to be very tempermental with different hardware combinations? Maybe it's just the T43o_O

I also called IBM to see if they would compensate me for the Seagate HD and having a problem with the T43 and they said NO WAY! and I can be very persuading but still no go. Thanks for the advice Tabvla on mounting the drive and thank you again Seekforever for your input. It's great to have knowledgable people to bounce things off of in disasterous situations like this one.

Dennis

14. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Dennis,

Glad to know it has been sorted.

And thanks for the feedback on the solution. Input like yours helps others on the Forum to sort out similar issues with similar kit.

:D

15. raybaron

raybaron Registered Member

I alway get the E000020 error when verifying the archive using the rescue CD with ALL versions of TI I have tested so far from 9.0 build 3677 thru 10.0 3871. I found a workaround that is OK so far.:

1 Perform your partion image backups from the Linux-based Rescue CD rather than under Windows. I tried this on a whim and works great for me. Archives always validate since you are writing in Linux and reading back under Linux. I think the USB drivers on the rescue CD are a bit flaky or a mismatch to my laptop HW.

I tried making a BartPE but I don't have the original Windows install disk for my PC. Soon I am going to try a USB memory stick as a bootable rescue device to see how this works out .

16. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Posted by Raybaron...

Hi Ray,

Before you do that logon to your Motherboard manufacturer's website and check if your model MOBO supports booting from a USB device.

T

17. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Dennis, when you get your system restored try building a BartPE CD http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with either the included BartPE plugin or Mustang's plugin http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/. The Linux rescue cd is notorious for issues with USB external drives. BartPE provides windows environment rather than Linux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.