Corporate use

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Jeff, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

From your description of the "kill bit", it looks like your database could easily be used to create a *.reg file for use in logon scripts, and/or a *.adm file for use in NT4 System Policies or Win2K Group Policies, based on selections made in the SpywareBlaster dialog box.

I have several clients who would likely be willing to pay for that capability, and I'd certainly recommend it to all of them. One thing's for sure...their "company policies" about such things haven't solved the problem! And all my clients have legacy software that requires Win2K & WinXP "Power User" permissions to use, which has the unfortunate side affect of allowing write access to HKCR and installation of spyware.

The key for corporate use is to be able to implement it centrally without having to install anything on the client machines, but if SB can output a *.reg or *.adm, that's pretty easy to arrange in an NT or 2K domain.

What do you think?

Jeff

2. Jeff

Jeff Guest

On further reflection, if I have to choose between *.reg & *.adm, definitely make it *.reg.

Only reasons I can think of to use a *.adm are if...

1. ...users can't write to HKCR...but if they can't do that, they can't install spyware, either! Or...

2. ...domain doesn't use a logon script...but I'm guessing managed systems that don't use a logon script are rare.

TIA

Jeff

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster cannot currently export to a reg file - but it is an interesting idea. If you could e-mail me at javacoolsoftware@hotmail.com with your e-mail address, I will reply if/when (more likely when) a corporate solution is ready.

TIA. :)

-Javacool

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Umm that actually could be interesting, would like to know if this idea gets further ! ;P

Late ;)

5. javacool

A corporate/medium-to-large-scale-network version is possible. Of course, news about it will be posted on this forum first. :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. drahnier

drahnier Guest

have a look at http://www.spywareguide.com/blockfile.php

7. javacool

Yes that is a reg file, but unfortunately it

A.) Does not mention anywhere what each item in it corresponds to.

B.) Includes below 100 items. (SpywareBlaster's latest update contains 164, and another update is around the corner.)

Besides those items, it might work in your situation - until the specialized version of SpywareBlaster is created of course! :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. Jeff

Jeff Guest

I do like the idea of having a GUI for excluding specific spyware. If a company owner insists that he "needs" Hotbar, I'd try to persuade him that it's a bad idea. But failing that, I'd like to be able to give him Hotbar without having to edit each updated .reg file as it becomes available. And the owner would rather not pay me to do that, for that matter!

And while it's pretty easy to d/l the .reg file regularly from spywareguide, it's even easier to d/l SpywareBlocker updates.

But, like you say, spywareguide is a great interim solution, and I'll look forward to more info about your solution.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.