Copying Recovery CD to Hard Disc

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by DickK, Dec 21, 2013.

1. DickK

DickK Registered Member

I seem to be having problems with my USB hard disc. When I try backing up to this disc using Backup & Recovery 2013, I have recently started getting error messages. Usually "A part of Paragon System Utilities has stopped working". I have 2 partitions on my hard disc (Windows 7 and XP). I have checked all other support threads and tried the usual: Switching off Anti Virus Software; Running various CheckDisc utilities on both source and destination discs; Running the backup from the XP partition; Using Paragon Hot Processing, or no Hot Processing instead of Windows Hot Processing. I have even created a third new Windows 7 partition, installed Backup and Recovery, and run backup from that with the same failures. I can backup the rest of the disc, excluding the Windows 7 partition, from Windows 7 without problems.

I have discovered that I can backup the Windows 7 partition successfully, every time, by running backup from the Recovery CD. This presumably uses Linux to access the USB disc and so bypasses Windows as well as Hot Processing. For convenience, I would like to create an extra bootable partition on the hard disc and install the recovery image into this. Backup and Recovery does not seem to let me select a hard disc partition to install the recovery image into. I have Hard Disc Manager 10, but can't find any way of copying a bootable CD into a Hard Disc partition. Is there any way I can do this?

Incidentally, during my experiments, I also did a restore from the Windows 7 backup to a new temporary partition without problems, so I am pretty confident that the disc is OK.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I once used this procedure:

1. Create a primary partition in the USB disk. Size can be 1 GB. Set it as “active”.
    2. Create a boot USB key with the recovery environment.
    3. Create an image of the boot USB key.
    4. Restore it to the active partition in the USB external disk.
    5. In the boot menu, this partition should appear as a bootable device.
    This worked for me using a WinPE recovery medium. I don´t know if it works with a Linux one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.