Copying HD's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tatersalad, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I’m trying to copy the contents of a secondary hard drive to a new larger HD. My system drive is only 36gb and the secondary is 200gb. The new HD is 320gb all sata and I only have 2 ports so I can’t be in windows xp to copy or clone the 2 bigger HD’s

I tried using my TI 9 rescue disk to clone the 2 HD’s but after 3 hr’s there was no progress on the bar and it still said 18 hrs remaining! Does it really take that long to clone a HD?

I really don’t need to clone the drive just copy the contents. I’ve had no luck getting Bart PE stand only to load the via sata drivers on this MB but I haven’t tried the TI plugin. I’ve had unreliable results using a dos startup disk to copy HD’s

I have both TI 9 and DDS 9 any help would be appreciated:doubt:

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you want the new drive to be bootable, you don't want to just copy files. You do want to clone the drive or make and image an restore it to the new drive.

When you clone a drive, the target is just like the old drive although the partitions may be of different sizes. You can't clone two hard drives to a single drive. All you would have is a clone of the second which over wrote the clone of the first.

What is on the 200GB drive? Is it all data which can be copied, or are programs installed on this drive as well?

Cloning normally takes the same order of time as formatting a drive. The times you are seeing are too long. That suggests that the SATA drivers on the TrueImage Recovery CD don't work with your motherboard. Do you have the latest build of TrueImage?

Do you have an external USB hard drive? An IDE hard drive that you can attach to your motherboard?

3. Tatersalad

My setup is a motherboard based on the VIA K8T 800pro chipset, which uses VIA vt8237 sata raid controller. It boots from a single 36gb raptor HD that contains all the programs. The secondary 200gb HD contains only data like music and pictures and neither dive has more than one partition.

Strange I can perform other operations like create and restore images from my TI boot cd
    Wait come to think of it that was a TI 8 boot cd but the TI 9 boot cd (latest build) recognizes the HD’s fine. I will try cloning with the old TI boot cd though.

The vt8237 is a first generation sata controller and I did have a little difficulty getting it to recognize the new sata 2 HD. There is a jumper setting that switches the HD to sata 1 which solved the problem.

Thank you for your response and no I don't have an IDE or external HD but if I have to I'll get one.

4. Tatersalad

No luck cloning with the TI 8 rescue cd ether:(

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Since Bart will not see the SATAs, then an external usb drive will do the trick in two stages, unless you can connect the SATA in an external exclosure - not sure if such an enclosure exists.

Or can you load the OS on the 200 temporarily and boot with it?

6. Tatersalad

Nice:)

Very disappointed in True Image:(

7. Chutsman

Don't give up on it yet ... I don't use SATA so can't help with that, but I don't recall reading of any unsurmountable problems with SATA.

8. Tatersalad

Give up, never. I’m just frustrated; I figured TI would make this easy now I have to worry about adding a partition to my old drive and installing windows on it and how exactly to do that without screwing up.

I’m thinking using DDS to add a primary partition to the 200gb and then restart with it as a master and have windows setup make that partition active and run setup on it. Then install my new drive as a slave and just copy everything over.

I have no idea why I can’t get the VIA sata drivers to work with bart PE, It’s been no problem with other storage drivers in the past.

I certainly appreciate your help but I wouldn’t mind hearing from Arconis on this problem:D

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Can you make an image of the boot drive on the 200GB drive? Then remove the boot drive and install the 320GB drive. Finally, boot from the TI 9.3567 boot CD and restore the image to the 320GB drive.

That gives you a two drive system with the 320 as the boot drive. You can copy all your datat on the 200GB drive to it and remove the 200GB drive.

10. Tatersalad

Ok I was able to restore an image of my boot drive that was on my 200gb to the 320gb then boot from it and copy everything over and delete the boot partition. Then I returned my 36gb raptor to boot duties, rapped up my 200gb in an anti static bag and placed in a shady spot away from any magnets for safe storage.

It’s very strange that I can restore and image using the TI 9.3567 boot CD but not clone one to the other. TI 9 doesn’t seem to have an issue with my VIA sata controller.

Anyway it’s all fixed now and TI worked fine in the image restore department and that’s what I bought it for so it’s all good.

Thanks for the helpful help,

Mark

11. Chutsman

Glad to hear you got it worked out .... don't forget to hang a piece of garlic over the anti static bag. :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.