copying between physical disks

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by frontDownBackUp, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frontDownBackUp

frontDownBackUp Registered Member

Hi,

I have XP-pro on c:\ of my main laptop and vista-Business on c:\ on my second Laptop - if i backup both disks/partitions (and MBR's of both) can i swap partitions ( put vista on main laptop, xpPro on second laptop) or do backups have to be restored to the same physical disk used to create the backup??

many thanks in advance.

2. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Well that depends on what version of software you are using, it would require you use the WinPE based software to perform the P2P adjust after the migration from one Laptop to the other also, you would want to check what kind of Microsoft Windows license you have. Depending on the kind of license, you may be breaking their EULA.

3. frontDownBackUp

frontDownBackUp Registered Member

hi,
    Xp Pro is 32 bit full licenced with SP3 (i have all disks).
    Vista Bus was preinstalled on my second Laptop licensed) so i don't have the disks but have the ability to create recovery disks for vista in the standard way.

I can install both on a single machine, surely, without infringing the license? im just swapping them over. Im juse wondering whether the actual hard-drive ID will be a problem.

The WinPE, P2P information is way over my head is it difficult to do? if its risky i'll stick with my current setup and live with it.

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Forgive me I may not have been clear, my concern was that the licenses were an OEM license which is supposed to die with the machine, so performing swaps like you are asking about, breaks the Microsoft EULA. I just always attempt to warn people just in case.

As far as the WinPE P2P information, there is an attached document below which will walk you through the P2P process if you need it.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.