Copy Thinkpad disk with Hidden Protected Area

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by richk, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richk

richk Registered Member

Thinkpads have replaced the hidden partition used for recovery with an area at the end of the disk that looks like unpartitioned space. Is there any way I can back up the entire disk, including this space, using True Image Home 10? The documentation talks about the option for a sector-by-sector copy, but I cannot figure out how to do it. Will this backup the unpartitioned space?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If it is really unpartitioned space, there's no need to back it up. If it has the recovery data, it is in a partition but it may be a very odd partition that TI doesn't recognize.

What does the manufacturer's tech support say about what's in that area?

3. richk

richk Registered Member

It's a Thinkpad and they say the recovery data is there and it isn't a partition. THeir recovery process access the sectors directly. It is their "new better" way to do restore to factory configuration. I just read a 13 page document describing the advantages. I liked the old way just fine. It's called a firmware secured area.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Why not do an image backup using the full disk option as below.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182030

After the image completed, simulate starting a restore and select the just completed backup as the files being restored. Look how the backup partitions are displayed.

Remember, you can practice performing most functions (pressing next) all the way up to the "proceed" screen which is about the 8th screen in. When practicing, don't press proceed or process will initiate.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185364&d=1164484722

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Wonderful, everyone has a new and better way to do things, but it makes them proprietary and very inconvenient.

Of course, you won't need the Thinkpad backup once you have a TrueImage backup. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just image the C partition.

How do you access the Thinkpad recovery data? Do you run a utility on a disk or hold down a key during boot up or....?

6. richk

richk Registered Member

When I look at the Image Backup, as suggested by GroverH, it thinks the disk is 4GB less than the real size, so the image will contain only that much.

I do need/want the full backup because I fix up and sell laptops. With older models, I could do a full image backup of each model. That would be a copy of XP and all the files installed, plus the service partition. I could blast that onto a new drive and plug it into another laptop. When I turned it on, it would tell me the hardware had changed and I needed to reauthenticate. I would do that using the COA from the new machine and I would be up and running in a few minutes. If I cannot do that, I need to restore the machine from backup CDs, then apply all the newest drivers, maybe winXP SP2, all the security crap, etc. The process takes all day.

As far as how to access the data, you press a blue "access IBM" button on the keyboard and a miracle occurs. Actually, rather than a miracle, it uses code in the firmware to access the data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.