Copy disk on to larger HD no extra room ?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by keyboardguy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Registered Member

Hi all,
    I contacted tech support, but I'd like to run their suggestions by you.
    I copied a 250GB hard drive
    ( “C' drive and “E” system reserved) onto a new 1TB drive. The new HD shows only about 232GB of the 1TB drive.
    I need to have the extra 700gigs showing so the old HD can grow and eventually fill up the newer drive.
    Tech support wants me to create another partition.

My question is: how can the original 232GB drive grow if there's a new partition? Doesn't the partition stop the hard drive from 'growing' into it?
    Can someone tell me the exact options I have to check when creating a disk copy?

Below is the question I originally asked.

What I want to have happen is: make an exact copy of the original 250gb HD (which has partition C and system reserved E)
    have the remainder 700gb or so be available on the target disk. The screenshot shows only 232gb with NO available disk space.
    If I do as you mentioned,I'd have another 698GB partition, but the original 232HD would have no room to grow. How do we accomplish this? What exact options do I choose to have the 1TB target disk with about 700GB showing and available?

Thanks

Mike

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't see where creating another partition allows the original one to expand either. What I don't understand is your indication that there is not extra disk space shown.

Since you have the original disk you are in a good position because you have it to fall back on in case something goes wrong with the move to the new disk.

My preference would be to delete all the partitions on the new drive to restore it to unallocated space. Make an image of the MBR, System Reserved and C partition from the old drive and store it on another drive. Restore the MBR and System Reserved partitions to the new drive. When you next restore the C partition you should be able to specify the extra space to take the remainder of the disk.

3. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I took some of your suggestions and got it working!!

First, I reformatted the 1TB HD.
    Instead of COPY DISK I used COPY PARTITION (E system reserved and the C drive.)

I could not find a way in the Paragon software to enlarge the C partition to take advantage of the extra 700GB unallocated.
    SO....

Went into Windows 7 control panel.
    Administrative tools/ computer management/ disk management/

I then right clicked the C drive partition (232GB) and chose EXTEND VOLUME.

Bingo !!! It worked.
    I now have a 1TB drive with about 700 GB available.
    Don't know why tech support couldn't help but I'm a happy camper. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Mike :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.