Copy a Task

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wirerider, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wirerider

wirerider Registered Member

I want to create a full backup task of "my data", and them make a differential backup task with exactly the same folder selection.

I thought I would try to copy the full task and edit it to be a differential task, but I couldn't find a way to do that.

What's the recommended procedure to accomplish this?

Thanks!

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I thought you could try this but I'm not sure it will work.

go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

and then copy the appropriate .tis file. If you already have more than one tis file, then go into ATI and edit the one you want to copy, then save it and exit ATI. Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts and copy the tis file with the current date-time stamp.

rename the copy by removing "Copy of" form the filename and changing the last digit in the filename. E.g. change "Copy of 81E9DA10-BEF6-414A-BB78-EA50AEC03114.tib.tis" to "81E9DA10-BEF6-414A-BB78-EA50AEC03115.tib.tis" without the quotes, of course.

When you load ATI and go to the tasks window, you will see two versions of the copied task, edit one of them and rename it as you like.

Hopefully in the next edition, there will be a simpler way to copy a task.

3. wirerider

wirerider Registered Member

Thanks for the input. That looks useful, and I'll try it.

Hmm...it seems that what I'm trying to do would be a fairly common occurance...set up a full backup and then set up the incremental or differential version of the same file set, without having to reselect all the folders. Is there not a more direct way to accomplish this?

Or maybe the assumption is that folder selection isn't going to be that complicated?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wirerider,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Actually, there is more simple way than shieber described. You may use scheduled task with "Do not start automatically" start parameters.

To be more specific, during the scheduled task creation make a selection of the files/folder you wish to back up, then set backup mode to "Create a differential backup archive", set start parameters to "Do not start automatically". To start the created task use "Run the selected task" button (checkered flag) when needed. At first, a full backup will be created. The next backups will be differential.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. shieber

I don't think runinng a task manually is the same thing as being able to copy a task. There are times when I've wanted to copy a task and had to resort to the relatively cumbsersome process I described. Just running the task manually wouldn't have given me a copy of the task.

6. Plasbot

Plasbot Registered Member

This seems to work, haven't tested it yet but the task appeared in my task list on 10.0.
    To copy a scheduled task in acronis:
    Go to this folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts
    Use the date/time modified stamp to find the task you want to copy.
    Right-click the task and choose copy.
    Click paste from the edit menu, a new file name 'Copy of ...' will be pasted.
    Right click the copy and open it in Notepad.
    Find the entry under <uuid>. This is a GUID number that matches the name of the file.
    Go to website: http://www.somacon.com/p113.php
    Generate a GUID there.
    Copy the GUID from the webpage and paste it over the current <uuid> number.
    Now find the entry under <display>.
    Change it to whatever name you want the task to be.
    Close notepad saving changes.
    Rename the file to the new GUID number. (remember the extension still needs to be .tib.tis)

If you don't change the GUID number to match in the file and the filename you will see your task in the scheduler but you will not be able to select it easily, and if you do succeed in selecting it and click edit tasks, the program seems to hang.

Using this method I copied several tasks and it saved me a lot of time.

7. shieber

Thanks, plasbot,

That's a rather nice piece of duct tape for ATI. IT's a few steps up front but can save time in the long run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.