Cops Use Mobile Scanner To Steal Cellphone Data

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CloneRanger, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Cops Use Mobile Scanner To Steal Cellphone Data From Innocent Americans

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

A few more details:

The Michigan State Police have started using handheld machines called "extraction devices" to download personal information from motorists they pull over, even if they're not suspected of any crime. Naturally, the ACLU has a problem with this.

The devices, sold by a company called Cellebrite, can download text messages, photos, video, and even GPS data from most brands of cell phones. The handheld machines have various interfaces to work with different models and can even bypass security passwords and access some information.

The problem as the ACLU sees it, is that accessing a citizen's private phone information when there's no probable cause creates a violation of the Constitution's 4th Amendment, which protects us against unreasonable searches and seizures.

To that end, it's petitioning the MSP to turn over information about its use of the devices under the Freedom of Information Act. The MSP said it's happy to comply, that is, if the ACLU provides them with a processing fee in excess of $500,000. That's more than $100,000 for each of the five devices the MSP says it has in use.

<snip>

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Welcome to 1984.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Wrap your phone in aluminum foil. :ninja:

5. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

How ironic ... :rolleyes:

Cops use scanner to steal innocent citizens data ...

Guess being an upstanding citizen doesn't count for much to the gov't et all anymore..

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

In most cases they should be required to get a search warrant to extract data from your cell phone or other mobile devices.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

The sources is infowars though? Hmm.

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

And ? A lot of good/reliable info etc is on there :thumb: Plus they always provide links to sources. If you'ld done that you would know ;)

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I dunno. Some of the stuff they write is just is to far out to me. Not saying I don't believe it, but some if it to me is just conspiracy theories.

By the way, skynet is launching this weekend. Beware! :p

10. x942

x942 Guest

This is why i use a blackberry with content protection (FDE) enabled :) no password = no data. Enter password wrong and it wipes the device. No cops will be accessing my data with AES-256 BIT encryption ;)

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

That is SKYNET from "The Sara O'Connor Chronicles" :D

12. danielspencer2

danielspencer2 Registered Member

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The device is not wireless :p

14. x942

x942 Guest

One way would be to jailbreak and install an app (forget the name) that mounts virtual drives instead of the OS drive. This would mean the device would only see a blank virtual disk and no real data.

15. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

16. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

What sort of evidence do you want? Do you think they'll stand there and let you take a picture of them doing it? How will you do that? They have your phone, which is the camera.

17. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

It's not a big leap when you check out these pages.
    Who cares which state is using it, what matters is the product exists and will be used.
    *Of course, no one is saying civilians can't buy it at the moment..*

http://www.cellebrite.com/mobile-forensic-solutions/law-enforcement.html

http://www.cellebrite.com/news-and-...new-standard-for-mobile-phone-forensics-.html

http://www.git-security.com/product...ction-device-cell-phones-smartphones-and-pdas

http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products/ufed-physical-pro/ufed-video-tutorial.html

It's interesting that they keep leaving out the part that the ufed is Blue tooth enabled also. (see extraction vid)

I don't believe the ACLU would bother with an investigation
    that has gone on since 2008, if there weren't truth in the matter, they've
    got plenty of privacy violations with the now shredded Bill of Rights alone..
    Once again, see this link-
    http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/state-police-can-suck-data-out-cell-phones-un

A little paranoia is a good thing, it can save your life-but
    it's not hard to find "paranoiacs gone wild" in this day and age..

All this 'lawful' voyeurism is just creepy-
    We're not cells in a petri dish, we shouldn't have to live like them either..

18. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

These articles all make is sound as every driver pulled over in Michigan (or elsewhere) is having the data siphoned off their cell phone without their knowledge. Bull-ony!

Nothing posted so far has shown anything but pure speculation. Beside the vast majority of phones require a physical connection. Even if blue tooth or infrared, those functions have to be enabled.

One would think if people in Michigan were being asked by the police to give up their cell phones that would some how make the news? I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.