Coordinating Acronis and FDISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by normanm, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normanm

normanm Registered Member

Yes, like Pete, I think. I'm a one partition man. An 80 GB but only, really, one-sixth full, so I didn't bother to partition.

mn

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In that case you have to ANCHOR the folder "My Documents".
    I don't know if this is mandatory, but Peter will tell you that.
    I don't need any anchoring, because I stored all my personal data on another partition.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No he won't. I don't anchor anymore, because my only other snapshot, is a bare stripped down snapshot for booting purposes.. I want all the data in the archive up to date.

Pete

4. ErikAlbert

Does that mean that normanm has also that bare stripped down snapshot like you ?
    If not, doesn't he need to anchor then ?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Erik, I have to agree with Peter on this one, anchoring is a handy feature for many folks, but why would he "have to" anchor? o_O

Acadia

6. normanm

1. Wouldn't the necessity of anchoring depend on how you use FD and how you work. For example, let's say you're writing a book and doing e-mail and downloading music files every day. After work, you decide to experiment with a new program. You make a second snapshot, ROLLBACK. You install the new program in your MAIN snapshot; its a disaster. You reboot into ROLLBACK and restore/copy MAIN (I might be using the wrong terminology here). You wouldn't lose any data at all. That would be the way I'd use the program. Thinking of it this way, your "data," which could be spread over many folders (when you don't partition) will always be current.

2. Does the program refresh/update your MAIN snapshot every day?

3. Reading the help files, it looks like data anchoring is mainly intended to reduce the size of snapshots. Anchoring is confusing since the manual clear states "each snapshot contains a copy of all your files on the system drive." Then it says, "you DO want to anchor....so that if you have to boot to an alternate snapshot, you don't lose these files." BUT won't that alternate snapshot contain those files in the first place?

7. ErikAlbert

My assumption is like this :

A. If you don't anchor the folder "My Documents"
    You create an independent folder "My Documents" in EACH snapshot.
    If you add a new document in the WORK snapshot, that new document won't be stored in the ROLLBACK snapshot.
    If you edit an existing document in the WORK snapshot, that document won't be changed in the ROLLBACK snapshot.
    And that must be very confusing.

B. If you anchor the folder "My Documents".
    The same folder "My Documents" will be used by all snapshots.
    If you add a new document in the WORK snapshot, that new document will also be stored in the ROLLBACK snapshot.
    If you edit an existing document in the WORK snapshot, that document will also be changed in the ROLLBACK snapshot.

So IMO anchoring is necessary otherwise you have TWO folders "My Documents", just like you have two Windows in both snapshots.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. normanm

Would depend on when you made ROLLBACK. Thinking about this, though, if -- on a one partition drive -- you did take the time to go through all the apps in which you create data and anchor those folders/directories, then the data in ROLLBACK would always be current. I guess I was assuming that I'd always make a fresh ROLLBACK whenever I tried to change something on the system. But then if something happened on its own during normal use, I can see where one's ROLLBACK might be days old and contain data files that had been changed in the interim.

9. ErikAlbert

Test it out and you will know for sure, that's how you will understand FDISR better and better.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh, I have never used Rollback, so I should excuse myself from this discussion. (Why in the world would someone want both FirstDefense AND Rollback on the same system?)

Acadia

11. ErikAlbert

We are not talking about RollbackRx, we are talking about a snapshot used as a rollback snapshot (= secondary snapshot)

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

OH!! :blink:

Acadia

13. ErikAlbert

Well, I've done some tests and it was like I expected.

A. If you don't anchor the folder "My Documents".
    1. Your WORK snapshot has its own folder "My Documents"
    2. Your ROLLBACK snapshot has also its own folder "My Documents", which isn't necessarily the same as the folder "My Documents" in your WORK snapshot.
    Both folders have their own life.
    You can imagine what will happen, if you copy/update from ROLLBACK snapshot to WORK snapshot.
    The folder "My Documents" of the WORK snapshot will be equal to the folder "My Documents" of the ROLLBACK snapshot and that will be a disaster. If the folder of the ROLLBACK snapshot is empty you will lose all your documents in your WORK snapshot during copy/update.

B. If you anchor the folder "My Documents".
    The folder "My Documents" is shared by all snapshots and that's the correct way.
    The copy/update from ROLLBACK snapshot to WORK snapshot won't affect your folder "My Documents", because anchored folders are excluded in all snapshots.

So if you use a WORK and ROLLBACK snapshot in FDISR, you better anchor the folder "My Documents" or it will be a mess.

I don't have to anchor, because I moved "My Documents" to another partition.
    I don't have a ROLLBACK snapshot, it's more a RECOVERY snapshot, but that is my personal improvisation.
    And Peter's version is also an improvisation that doesn't need any anchoring.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  14. normanm

Thanks, again, all. I just have to decide whether Pete's approach (no anchoring) or Erik's is my best protection. Some of the conceptual issues I raised are answered here

http://www.leapfrogsoftware.com/support_info/faq/

I'm installing today and I'm sure I'll be back to the list for more advice.

mn

15. ErikAlbert

Keep in mind that FDISR starts with a WORK snapshot (primary) and a ROLLBACK snapshot (secondary) and that you have to anchor your folder "My Documents" immediately after that.

Improvising on FDISR is at your own risk and requires some thinking before.

16. kneighbour

kneighbour Registered Member

Ah - I think I am beginning to understand the difference between FD-ISR and RollbackRx.

FD-ISR keeps (say) two full copies of your hard disk - and you can swap between the two of them. And you can update changes from one to the other.

The BIG problem (as I see it) here, if this is how it works, is that you have now halved the size of your hard disk! If you have 4 snapshots, now your hard disk is effectively 1/4 the size. Surely this is a huge drawback? Or am I missing something here?

I would also imagine that updating snapshots would be terribly slow. Let us say that you have a 350 gig hard drive, with two snapshots on it. It update one to the other, you would have to scan/read/write 175 gigs!

Do I have the concept correct?

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not quite. If you have a 350g hard drive but only 5 gig of data, then you still have 345gig of empty space. If you make a second snapshot you now have 10 gig of data, and still have 340gig of free space which FirstDefense never touches. Updating 5 gig of data on my system only takes 2-3 minutes.

Acadia

18. Peter2150

On this Data Anchoring thing. Erik you still don't quite have it.

If you Anchor My documents, then there is only one copy of the whatever is in My Documents on the drive and it is "Shared" by both snapshots.

If you Don't anchor My Documents, then there are two copies of everything.

Note if you have My Documents anchored and remove anchoring, the next copy/update will be longer and add everything to the 2nd snapshot.

There are advantages and disadvantages both ways.

One advantage to anchoring is if you start working in say your "main" snapshot, and have been saving data, and something bad happens and you have to go to the "rollback" snapshot, then your data would still be there.

One advantage to not anchoring. Say you have office 2003 installed and want to test Office 2007, but not take a chance on your data. You can install 2007 in "Rollback" and play away, messing with your data. Then when done if you go back to "main" and copy/update "rollback" everthing including your data will be restored.

The only time I ever had a problem not anchoring was after downloading morning emails in outlook, I had a system freeze and had to use FDISR to fix it. Lost those emails. Solution was simple. Just have Outlook leave email on server two days. Solved that problem.

The way I am now using FDISR yes it is almost mandatory I don't anchor, but it is working so well, it isn't an issue.

Hope this clarifies.

Pete

19. ErikAlbert

Peter,
    Suppose a user creates two snapshots as recommended, but he doesn't anchor My Documents. So each snapshots has a folder My Documents with an equal contents right after installation.

He works two months in his primary snapshot without any problems and he keeps on using the same softwares.
    After two months he installs a new software and this software screws up his primary snapshot.

He does a copy/update from secondary to primary snapshot as recommended to recover his primary snapshot.
    What do you think what will happen to the folder "My Documents" of the primary snapshot ?
    IMO this user will have a two-month old folder "My Documents" and all the rest is gone.

This would not have happen when he anchored My Documents two months back.

http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/fdisr/fdisr_faqs.cfm#4

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  20. Peter2150

Erik

In this scenario the user has neglected the most important piece of software he has: His brains.

Whether it's an archive or snapshot, I always updated it daily. Certainly before the install of new software.

If some is going to do something, eh..... STUPID, then they could mess it up with data anchoring.:D

Cheers,

Pete

21. ErikAlbert

Right, but tell that to a new user of FDISR, who forgot to anchor.

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I know compared to you guys I am just a baby with FD, but I have never anchored my documents as I update my snapshot every day. My external about every 3 or 4 days.

It suits me to do it this way, also with av updates, downloads and the like, I prefer to keep my secondary up to date malware wise.

23. ErikAlbert

Suppose you work 6 hours in your primary snapshot, editing your documents, spreadsheets, etc.
    Then you try a new software and it goes wrong so bad that you have to refresh your primary snapshot with your secondary snapshot.
    In that case your 6 hours work is gone.
    After all you don't refresh your secondary snapshot every minut.

You won't have that problem when you anchor your personal data.

24. Peter2150

Erik if you work 6 hours and then try new software without updating your secondary snapshot that would qualify for the "Stupid" title. I did that even when I did anchor data.

The benefit of doing it this way is also if an install messes with data some how, then your other snapshot also has protected the data, assuming that is the keyboard chair interface worked right.:rolleyes:

25. ErikAlbert

That's true, but never think that everybody is like you and the risk is higher when you don't anchor.

That is one of the reasons that I moved my data to another partition, I don't need anchoring either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.