Cool Web Search Xrqv62.exe, trouble

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by crassus11, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crassus11

crassus11 Registered Member

I was hit today with one of those lovely Cool web search infections. It was the first time in a long time and I am now remembering how discouraging they can be. So now my Internet explorer always opens up to one of those rediculous ad pages with the address "about:blank," and popup ads are a constant. I tried to run ad-aware, which detected over 400 problems, but when I tried to remove some of the detected problems, everything froze. Spybot was able to do a little more, and it seems the main problem can be traced to two Cool Web Search links that are hiding in Windows:system32 under the titel Xrqv62.exe. When I try to delete this, I keep being denied the right to do so. So then, does this problem sound familiar to anyone, and what does one do to fix it?

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi crassus11, and welcome to the forum.

You can try running your anti-spyware program while in Safe Mode but with CWS infections there is always a good chance of multiple infections.

To ensure all malware files are removed from your system, I suggest you go to one of the sites that perform Hijackthis analysis and post a log for review.

I'm afraid we no longer provide hijackthis log reviews, but you can find a list of sites that still do perform this type of log analysis and system cleaning in this link: http://a-sap.org/

Two of the bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than many others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com.

Since this problem is unrelated to SpywareBlaster support, I'll move your thread over into our Privacy Problems forum.

Please let us know how you make out.

Regards,

snap

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi & welcome to Wilders. When I had a computer infection and I was denied removal, I discovered that if I right clicked my mouse on that item that is denied and clicked on "send to" and chose to a floppy disk ... swoosh, away it went lock, stock & barrel out of my computer to a floppy. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.