Cool Ways to Give IE the Boot

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The bad news just keeps coming from Microsoft -- this week alone the company released a patch for seven new security vulnerabilities, three of them affecting the company's Internet Explorer browser and described as "critical" flaws by Microsoft.

And in response to the recent plethora of patches, there seems to be a bit of a Microsoft mutiny happening. According to analyst firm WebSideStory, there has been a 1 percent drop in Internet Explorer use over the past month, from 95.73 percent on June 4 to 94.73 percent on July 6. It's the first time WebSideStory has ever seen Internet Explorer usage take a dive.

No program coded by humans will ever be 100 percent secure, but we can make malicious hackers' lives more difficult by using a variety of browsers. Having 94.73 percent of all Web surfers using one application provides too big of a target, and the problem is compounded by Microsoft's unfortunate insistence on tying Explorer so tightly to the Windows operating system.

Wired

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Well Ronjor, I suppose it would be nice if Bill could make his platforms more compatible, it would certainly benefit everyone. On the other, I don't really mind his decision to keep IE with windows, it's "his" choice, we still have ours. I like things my way too, but not to the extent of being ignorant...

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not advocating anything here, just a news article with a viewpoint for others to read.
    Yes, Bill will do as he wants and I can move on if necessary. I don't feel the need though as I use XP and enjoy it.

Weaving the browser into the operating system was NOT a good idea however.
    It leaves an open pipeline into the guts of the operating system.

What does any of this have to do with ignorance?

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Didn't mean to sound captious, please excuse. I also enjoy XP and am willing to work with that pipeline. I agree the integration of IE may not be such a good choice. The drop in IE usage may provide a little incentive to level the playing field though. I realize the web as we know it would have been difficult to get off without some sort of "common thread", and Microsoft provided that. I'm all for making life easier for others, or else, what do we live for? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.