Cookies/Site Exceptions.....

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bgfalconboy, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

I decided to try a tip from a Kim Komando email about disabling cookies from sites and allowing only specific sites that you trust to put cookies on. Well, adding sites I trust helps me get my log-in info to show up on sites like facebook and myspace but I still can't actually log in. Facebook gives me an error mssge saying cookies needs to be allowed and myspace just goes through the motions of logging in but does't actually take me to my logged in home page. Is there something else I'm missing? Adding www.wilderssecurity.com allowed me to login here with no problem. Are facebook and myspace more cookie bloated than this site?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgfalconboy, do you use NoScript with your FF browser? If so, perhaps it's a matter of allowing several sites, via the Options panel, until you can get the Log In to work.

For instance, I see that Facebook needs facebook.com and fbcdn.net NoScript allowance for the Javascript is disabled on your browser message to disappear and I assume (don't belong to either social networking site thus the assumption) that the Log In is being controlled by JavaScript, and not necessarily cookies.

MySpace gives me a similar message: You need to have JavaScript enabled to use all of MySpace's features.

3. bgfalconboy

Yeah, I'm using NoScript. Thanks for the tip will try this.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Let us know if that solves your issue, for other Members and Guests' edification.

5. bgfalconboy

I'm still getting the error from facebook that says, "Cookies Required

Cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please adjust this in your security preferences before continuing."

I'm actually getting no Javascript error's just the cookies error on facebook and basically myspace attempts to login in but nothing happens. I have all of the scripts for facebook and myspace allowed as well.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgfalconboy, are you using any subscription lists with AdBlock Plus? Perhaps one of them is being very aggressive and something to disable until you find the culprit. I only use EasyList.

Another thing to look at is FF Options > Privacy tab. I have mine set to Accept cookies from sites (check Exceptions to see if something is being blocked), Accept third party cookies (check Show Cookies for facebook and myspace cookies) and they are kept until I close Firefox.

7. bgfalconboy

Well, that's the thing. I was trying today's tip from Komando that said to disable "accept cookies from sites" and using the exceptions list to keep the ones that you trust for more security or privacy. My AdBlock+ subscription is EasyList. I guess my problem is that although I added facebook.com or myspace.com to the Exceptions list , that still was not letting me log-in , only showing the saved password and username in the log-in boxes.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgfalconboy, I believe this Browse the Web in privacy mode article is what you are referring to?

Private Browsing is a great feature, however, many sites will not work, if it is enabled. Even Komando's site stores 2 cookies in your browser: ecm & ASP.NET_SessionId and of course, every site wants to track your movement for statistical purposes. If you look at the ecm cookie's content, it sure asks for a lot of info from a visitor. The good thing is that they both expire at the end of the session.

It seems that if you want to visit those 2 social networking sites, you'll have no choice but to accept their cookies. I see that you have BetterPrivacy as a FF add-on, does it help you a bit with those sites?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  9. bgfalconboy

Yeah, I realized that I will have to allow those sites and that's no problem , the thing I like to do is disallow all others until I see fit. Right now, it seems I either have to click the "accept cookies from sites" box to use facebook/myspace or disable it and not get into facebook or myspace. I don't know if you can allow specific cookies that allow you to login to these sites or not.

As for the BP addon , I don't know whether it's helping anything. I added it after reading some good pub on it from the forums here. It's supposed help get rid of flash cookies that are more permanent and don't go away like others do.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgfalconboy, just FYI regarding Flash. Via the Global Storage Settings, I have unchecked every box, plus moving the lever to None. I'll have to try BP one of these days. Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.