cookies, history & tif folders duplicated in Temp folder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by imdb, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi guys
    i have this strange issue on my xp installed pc. i've searched for it on the net and came across this post in majorgeeks forum describing the very same issue i'm having. so i'll just copy & paste some parts of it. here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=229658

but in my experience, the only way i can delete these newly popped folders is by using a linux live cd. but when i restart my pc they get created again. i can't delete them even in safe mode.
    i haven't made any changes to my system recently, haven't installed any new software. scanned my pc with hitman pro & sas & various av software. found nothing.

any thoughts, guys?
    tia

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There are some possible explanations:
    1. You (or some software) changed the location of those specific folders. You can check the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders (take a look at Cache and History subkeys).
    2. The folders where the temporary internet files should be located are still there, but for some reason or another the system no longer has write permissions to them. If I remember correctly, in this case the whole folder structure relate to them is recreated inside Temp folder.

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you nebulus. it seems some software has changed the default location just like you said. and now these folders are set as read-only. i tried to undo this but it keeps reverting back. do you know how i can change this read-only setting permanently? because currently os has no write permission for these folders. oh and btw, things look as they're supposed to be in registry.
    tia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.