Cookies Goooone

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by webmasta, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webmasta

webmasta Guest

Just downloaded today : I just realized MRU-Blaster deleted all my cookies without my permission!

On checking further I happened to come upon the option to select which cookies to keep buried under the guise of Plugins...

No doubt, this program is an excellent tool but as a writer of software myself, I am disappointed that such a choice as blanket deleting of cookies wasnt listed under the 'Program settings : scan options' or in a more obvious location... .I want my cookies back!

Like a kid with a few treasured possessions, I cultivated my cookie jar over a preiod of time, weeding out the thorns from choking the roses, now all my roses are goooone in one fell swoop .... ARRRRGHH =========((

No sweat, Ill probly get over it after I finish crying myself to sleep and wake up to face the challenge of remembering all my logins/passwords etc for a million different locations all over the web.... gives me something to do tomorrow and there goes my weekend (good thing I havent donated yet, eh?)

Will we see a change dude??

I bleeeed for one ....

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The only way cookies can be deleted is by using the Cookie Blaster Plugin....or.... if a user themself selected to clean cookies during a MRUblaster scan. They are not deleted during a Scan of most recently used(MRU) items by default.

I suggest you check the below setting....and make sure that item is un-checked. If it is checked.....once you un-check it....be sure and select Save Plug-in settings....which will properly set the AutomaticClean value pertaining to CookieBlaster.

If by chance that still does not fix this issue....we'll be glad to look further into why.

Regards,
    Bubba

Attached Files:

3. webmasta

webmasta Guest

This is strange because I didnt find that plugin/cookie blaster screen until after I scanned and cleaned MRU's ... you may want to look back at how that dialog is buried three clicks down from the main screen ...

Off the top, heres a user tip: seeing that the plugin control is important and is also a totally seperate dialog, I would move the 'Go to Plugins' button to the main screen just under 'Settings' to make sure its not buried.

Also, theres something that bothered me on first use, too many screens open up leading to confusion as a new user.. I didnt have the luxury of time to study the reason behind the many screens but as a developer of software myself the first thought that came to mind was .. why not a tabbed interface??

I like this application, very useful, I can do a mockup for you in c# to visualize exactly what I mean... just say the word.

BTW ... just looked at my IDE, still have all my MRU's...heres the reg key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\FileMRUList

25 entries stil remain, wasnt it supposed to clean that?

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just curious....was the box checked that I mentioned in my earlier post ?

The reason....and the importance of asking that is because any and all registry keys(CookieBlaster) and associated binary values(AutomaticClean and SecureDelete) are only created if one checks one of those 2 items seen in the pic above. Also....the only file created associated with CookieBlaster is cookieignore.ini....and is only created if the user selects cookies to ignore.

If this happened without you or someone else with access to your PC making a CookieBlaster selection....that would be something out of the ordinary for sure.

Those type questions will have to be dealt with by Javacool....the programmer. The only thing I can offer is indepth knowledge of how MRUblaster works.

That item is indeed not listed....along with many others since the program database was last updated....but I think I remember seeing where a program update maybe forthcoming at a later date.

Regards,
    Bubba

5. webmasta

webmasta Guest

Was the box checked?? Frankly I couldnt remember or I was too busy wiping my tears to notice...

So I did a complete un-install/re-install of Blaster, scrubbed all reg keys in case it remembered something.. by default, the box is not checked on first install, so I really cant figure why my cookies were deleted, maybe its a windOZ thing, stranger things have happened and I keep learnign to ignore.

6. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Also, just like backing up your Favorites can be a life saver, I suggest doing likewise for your cookies.

I have everything backed up, just in case something like what you experienced happens...

Windows makes it extremely easy to do so: In IE, go to File > Import and Export > Export Cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.