Converting to Win 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am planning to upgrade from XP sp3 to Windows 7/64.

Currently I use Active@ Image for the system partition and Acronis 9 for all data and other partitions.

Not sure if these will work on a 64 bit system or whether I would need to do it from outside. I assume it is just copying a disk structure and should be ok - but what do I know?

I think there is a 64 version of Active but don't know if that will be another purchase. Want to keep costs down at the moment.

Thanks

2. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I use Windows 7 Backup - from what I understand it is reasonably good. I schedule it and have automatic backup once per week. No cost involved.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use Macrium Free. I keep my OS drive very small. I install larger apps to d:\program files.

When I want to test a new program, I install it to OS drive. Once I decide I want to keep it, I put my last image back on, install new app(s), then make another image. So my image keeps changing, and I only install to my d: drive when I am ready to keep the changes.

This allow me to not have extremely large images because my OS drive is quite small, and means I don't have to re-install apps when I replace an image, because the image knows they are already on drive d:

I don't really make any concessions for 64bit apps doing it this way. Everything goes into d:\program files that is a long term keeper.

Sul.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - an alternative but no really what I was looking for.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Sul

As I said in my other post, we do things similarly, but what I really wanted to know is will a 32 bit disk image work effectively in a 64 bit o/s

6. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i use active@ disk image to backup my windows 8 64bit machine and used it to back up and restore my windows 7 64bit machine for a very long time.

all good. use it (hot and cold imaging) you will be fine :thumb:

7. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

it does not cost extra, the installer will detect your architecture and install the correct one

8. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmations

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.