converted to ntfs... now slow startup. :(

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pykko, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Hello, guys!
    I've just converted my windows drive from fat32 to ntfs. Now my Windows starts 5 times slower. It takes about 2 minutes to completely load. :(

I've disabled Indexing service on all drives and also I have disabled the Last Access Time. What should I do ? :'(
    I don't know what happened to it?
    I"ve tried as an experiment to uninstall ZoneAlarm (which was loading at startup and without it the system loaded a little fast, but not as usual... much slower).

Thank you for any feedback

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Whats the disk fragmentation like (try a defrag) ?

3. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Ditto.
    Clear the pagefile and do an offline (system) defrag, then a defrag while in Windows.

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

I tried both defragmentation and pagefile cleaning but nothing... I'll try to go back to FAT32.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Check in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and see if the "layout.ini" file has been created as this file contains info about optimal boot layout which the defragger uses.
    You could also try bootvis at the link below to improve boot speed.
    Bootvis

6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I'm afraid it's not looking good Pykko. Go into xp's gui defrag utility, analyze your converted partition and then view the report. Is the cluster size shown as 4kb's, or 512b's? If the later, you'd better have Partition Magic because the only other way out might be Paragon's partition manager. It's trial allow's cluster resize only in 'virtual' mode meaning, I don't think there's any conversion permanence after the trial's expiration.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think Microsoft doesn't offer backward compatibility, so you probably cannot convert NTFS to FAT32. I have seen this problem happening a lot, that the drive becomes slower after converting the hard disk from FAT32 to NTFS. NTFS should always be done with a clean format only, this is the recommended method.

Do as GlobalForce says, it may be your only option at this time.

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

thank you guys... I had an Acronis back up and now I just restored it. My windows drive is back FAT32. I'll reinstall Windows perhaps and format my partition to ntfs. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.