Convert MP4 to DVD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not sure I am asking the right question, but I purchased a download that was in the MP4 format. My Power to Go will not record it to a DVD.
    I am aware that there are some free DVD converters that will allow me to put the downloads on a DVD, but have no idea what I am about.

Anyone here using such a program, and which one?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since I am not going to do this again I do not want paid software.
    I tried WinX DVD Author, but my DVD player did not recognize the DVD. I got a message that the disk could not be read or recorded.

Thanks, Jerry

5. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I use DVD Flick to convert video files to DVD. It's free and works pretty well.

6. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The ones I have tried today will place a MP4 video on a DVD, but do not convert it to a format that my DVD player will recognize.

Does either the DVD Flick or the Bombono_DVD_Free convert the movie or program from MP4 to some format that is pretty well recognized by most or all of the recent DVD players?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

8. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I've never used Bombono_DVD_Free, but DVD Flick converts these videos to the standard DVD format. All of the videos I've converted have played without problems. You may want to pay attention to the settings for NTSC or PAL, although I believe most players can play either.

9. NICK ADSL UK

Bombono_DVD_Free,and DVD Flick converts MP4 videos to the standard DVD format.Jerry!

10. guest

guest Guest

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess I don't really know what a standard DVD format is. Before I tried the authoring software I could not put the programs on a DVD. The authoring programs let me do that, but the player does not recognize the DVD.

So in my ignorance does the standard DVD recognize WMA or some similar format, buy not MP4?

Thanks,
    Jerry

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, I was able to play the DVD on my Bluetooth player. It will not play on my other player. There is a message that says that the disk will not record or play.

I assume that the player does not recognize MP4.

I was able to put the videos on a disk using Free Total Video Converter.
    I had thought that the converter would change the format to one that any DVD player would recognize, but evidently the format remains MP4, but will go on a DVD.o_O

I'll settle for that. Many thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. CloneRanger

@ JerryM

Glad that Free Total Video Converter worked for you, in that way ;)

It sounds like "maybe" you are not choosing the options in the software/s to Actually convert your MP4's etc into a DVD, but rather just copying/recording the MP4's etc onto a DVD disk ?

So the disk is playing what has been copied/recorded, just not in DVD format.

Have a look at the Preferences/Settings/Options etc a see if you can select to convert it etc to the DVD format & then write it.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi CloneRanger, Here is a Q&A regarding this from the Ligonier site.

QUOTE:• Can I put the MP4 files I download from the Ligonier website onto a DVD that will play on my television’s DVD Player or in the DVD Player on my personal computer?
    Yes, depending on if you have DVD authoring software on your computer that is able to accept MP4 files as source video. If you own an Apple™ computer then the program called iDVD will accept our downloadable MP4 files with no modification. If you are a Windows™ user then we would suggest checking online for DVD authoring software available for PC users. Some titles we have seen that appear to be accepting of MP4 files as source files are as follows: “Sony DVD Architect”, “Wombie Easy DVD”, “Roxio MyDVD”, “Power Producer”, & “WinX DVD Author” (further information and reviews can be found at ~ Removed Link. Site Not Recommended By Wilders. ~.End Quote

It may be a case of "If it was a snake it would've bit me" but I cannot find anything that gives me any options. I was hoping to be able to change it to a DVD format, but cannot find a way. Since it is a freebie I suspect it is pretty bare bones. I do not want to buy one since I don't expect to need it in the future.

Until I tried the program my DVD maker would not recognize the MP4 and I could not make a DVD in any format. I have not tried to do this before, and until now did not even know that an MP4 existed.o_O
    I'm in the slow group.

I have on order their DVD and that will play on all players I think. I am going to give it to my pastor, but wanted a copy for myself, hence I bought the download.
    Thanks for the help folks.

Regard,
    Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, I did find a way to convert the format. There is a window called PROFILE with a drop down that includes a bunch of options. I think vob is the correct one, and am going through the process.

I'll report when I finish. I hope I chose the correct format.

ADDED Nope, it didn't work!
    Jerry

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  16. CloneRanger

@ JerryM

Hi, i havn't installed Total Video Converter yet as i intend to do that on another comp elesewhere, which might not be until next week.

I just typed - how to convert mp4 to dvd - into scroogle & found lots of hits which describe the process & how to do it. That should help get your head round it & hopefully enable you to accomplish what you want !

17. operamail

operamail Registered Member

I would recommend Moying, a video converter program from China, based on WinAVI. It's really fast. Not sure if it has an English version.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I finally was able to put the videos on a DVD that would play on my DVD player.

I used the Free Total Video Convertor to convert the MP4 videos to vob. That was supposed to be the DVD format, but would not play.

I then went to the Windows DVD Maker and used the vob videos to load the Windows program. The DVD that I made does work. The only problem I have is that I cannot make a menu showing the individual videos. I'll probably have to live with that. But I can play the DVD on a regular DVD player.

Overall it has been interesting, but I probably will not have a reason to do it again. I suppose the new DVD players are Blue Ray. Mine played the MP4 videos fine.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. NICK ADSL UK

About
    DVDStyler is a cross-platform free DVD authoring application for the creation of professional-looking DVDs. It allows not only burning of video files on DVD that can be played practically on any standalone DVD player, but also creation of individually designed DVD menus. It is Open Source Software and is completely free.

http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

20. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

All you had to do was open Convertxtodvd, drag & drop your mp4 file in it and hit "convert". That's it! And put a blank dvd in your drive. It couldn't be easier. I use Convertx but it's the same thing with Dvd Flick

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It looks like that is a paid program. I don't anticipate needing to do this again. But I will remember the recommendation.

Hi Nick. I am going to try that one just for experience. Maybe it will let me arrange the list like I want to do.

Thanks to both of you.
    Jerry

22. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Andy, that program did what I needed. It is the first one that I tried that would accept the MP4 download and put it on a DVD that would play on my DVD player. It also made the menu in the order I wanted.

I appreciate the help.
    Regards,
    Jerry

24. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

You're welcome Jerry,I'm glad it worked for you.

As luck would have it I've just been working on getting a load of old cine films onto DVD for a customer and after trying out quite a few programs found this the easiest to work with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.